Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

White day cards in UK. 2008/3/4 04:05
Good evening all,does anyone know where I can buy a white day card in the UK? As I will be in Kyoto visiting my girlfriend for white day and I think it would be nice to do it properly. Any help with this would be very much appreciated (spelling?) :)
by timj  

... 2008/3/4 08:48
It is customary for men to present sweets rather than cards on white day.
by Uji rate this post as useful

White day 2008/3/4 09:16
Tim,

If you will be in Kyoto then, you can get cards and stuff in the shops there - although a gift from the UK would probably be a nicer touch. Just a card on its own would be underwhelming.
And while it's too late this year, you might want to note for future reference that you could get more "points" by doing it on Valentine's Day (which Japanese men don't do) rather than the contrived Japanese White Day.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/4 09:27
Thanks for your replies,but my intention is to propose to my girlfriend on white day,I thought about writing a little"will you marry me" message in a card whilst producing the ring at the same time,or is that naff?
by timj rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/4 09:30
Oh and by the way I dont think she knows that I know about white day,so I hope it will be a big suprise. shhh

White Day 2008/3/4 09:35
Tim,
In that case a nice card from the UK would definitely be nicer. I'm not Japanese, but I'm not sure that the majority Japanese women really consider White Day as a particularly romantic day (compared to Valentine's Day), so I'll be interested to hear what the Japanese natives here think. But having said that, if you are together in Japan around that time, White Day would seem the most logical and romantic date to propose to your girlfriend, so pick a nice location! Good luck.

White Day 2008/3/4 09:38
Tim,

I dont think she knows that I know about white day,so I hope it will be a big suprise.

Oh, I see... I was assuming she was Japanese. Although even if she is not Japanese, anyone in Japan right now would find it hard to miss all the "White Day" sales in the shos right now. ;-)

thx 2008/3/4 09:49
Hi Dave thank you so much for your replies,sorry I should have been more clear,my girlfriend is Japanese and I am English,it will be my first time in Japan. So she probably dosent expect me to know about white day,but i maybe wrong,I only found out about it on this forum.

... 2008/3/4 10:21
Timj, I think a White Day proposal would be a great idea. You probably know that in Japan, girls give gifts on Valentine's Day and boys give gifts in return on White Day, so although it's not as romantic as Christmas, it sounds appropriate.

I don't think it has to be a "White Day" card. Any lovely card would be fine. Traditional English designs are already lovely to begin with! I did learn however in the U.S. that it's called "White Elephant's Day", so that might give you a hint.

Btw, I can't tell you how many chocolates I've given on Valentine's Day in the past, and I've never got anything back on White Day! Japanese guys are so sloppy and un-romatic, so you already have credit right there!
by Uco, Japanese (older) female rate this post as useful

My mistake 2008/3/4 10:36
Tim,

Sorry, my mistake. What you wrote makes sense, but I was just rushing too much to read it correctly.
A nice (big) whitish card bought in the UK would probably do the trick, and yes, it could be a nice surprise if she assumes you don't yet know about White Day.

reply to this thread