Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching 2008/3/5 02:05
I am really interested in teaching in Japan and I have been doing some research on it. I finish college this May and want to go back to Japan to live here. And what I want to know is if going to the bigger companies such as Aeon/Amity, ECC, Geos, etc are better or is my finding a smaller school better? So far I've had negative comments about the bigger companies, how about the smaller ones? I would really like to know and the only big place that I've had positive comments on was JET programme, but it has already ended in taking applications. If you know of any good schools, let me know. I would be really interested in looking into it. Thanks.
by patches  

schools in Japan 2008/3/5 14:16
I`ve been living in Japan for a few years now and have experienced working in 3 different kind of environments: the big language school; the small indepedendent language school and a private junior high/high school. Of all 3 the most rewarding and stimulating has been teaching in the junior/high school and I loved it. Working in the big language schools is fine for a short time but can be draining and monotonous to say the least. The smaller language school has a friendlier atmosphere but the work of ''eikaiwa'' teaching is all much of a muchness. The JET programme is not the only way to get into the school scene. Once you`re in Japan it`s not so difficult to pick up contacts or look for other work outside the eikaiwa territory. This is pretty difficult to do from overseas so a job in a language school could offer a temporary springboard to bigger and better things. Private schools often recruit independently and a lot of that depends on contacts, word of mouth and so on. That`s how I got my job in the high school. And it has been the best experience of my time in Japan. Bear in mind the academic year in Japan starts in April, but stand-by teachers are always needed should anyone drop out suddenly. Good Luck!
by Alex rate this post as useful

Jet would be the best. 2008/3/5 14:19
Small schools might have toubles about insurance and staff. If you compare GEOS or ECC, I recommend ECC. It is better organized. You have risk to be transfered to small cities in Japan, so try to tell them to send you to big cities like Tokyo, Nagoya or Osaka. If you work in a small city, you will be only one teacher in a small school, and you will probably feel very lonely.
I recommend waiting for another chance for JET program. ECC or GEOS working hour is till 9 or 10 at night.
by Mayumi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread