Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling vocabulary 2008/3/5 08:14
Hello everybody!

I'm looking for some website for learning travelling related vocabulary. Signs at the airport, useful phrases and such.

I'm learning Japanese in a course, but in addition to it, I'm looking for this specific vocabulary, to prepare for the travel. It will be in September, so there's a plenty of time to prepare. ^^

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks you in advance!
by cauchy  

Travel tips 2008/3/5 10:13
From my experience all the signs at the airport and train stations have English on them. On the electronic signs you may have to wait a few seconds for it to cycle from Japanese (or Korean) text to English. A map of the big train stations, especially Shinjuku, may serve you better than being able to read signs in Japanese. But this is just my opinion having been to Japan once and knowing zero Japanese.

Before I went to Japan I made a list of all my destinations in kanji (use wikipedia) and took it with me. Then I would point to the name of where I was going and said something like gkore wa doko des kah which is gWhere is this?h I think. Make sure you tell people you donft speak Japanese too (this is in every phrase book). I would recommend leaning numbers too, since on rare occasions prices are written in Japanese script.

Sorry, didnft really answer you question but I hope this helps.
by Steve rate this post as useful

Survival phrases 2008/3/5 10:53
I found this website extremely useful in my travels to Japan. you can also download so it's very handy...http://survivalphrases.com
by Travelling man rate this post as useful

Thanks! Any more ideas? 2008/3/6 02:17
I don't want to avoid Japanese language, actually I want to use it as much as possible! I started learning Japanese because of my interest in Japan, so this will be a great opportunity to use what I've learnt. I'll be there after one year of learing Japanese (I've been learning it since September), so although my Japanese wouldn't be anything like amazing by that time (I'm quite aware of that, LOL), it shouldn't be useless neither. Probably 'nihongo ga sukoshi wakarimasu' would be fitting.

Yes, 'kore ha doko desu ka' when pointing to it as you said, or asking for a specific place like 'eki ha doko desu ka'. We use 'Minna no nihongo' textbook at the language school, which has really practical structures and vocabulary, in my opinion. Kanji for numbers - I know those. Words for all the destinations - good tip, I'll keep that in mind. Need to wait for the final plan.

Travelling man, thanks for the link, I'll check the site!

Anyone else? :)
by cauchy rate this post as useful

m 2008/3/6 05:08
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread