Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

making meishi 2008/3/5 10:44
I need to make billingual business cards, and I am trying to decide exactly what to write on the Japanese side.

The English reads:
-myname-
English Instruction and Proofreading
Private Lessons Available
-tel number

For the Japanese, how does this look?
-name
英語の教示と校正
英会話レッスン (I am not sure the best for private lesson in Japanese here ^^;)
tel
mail

Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks!
by Mel  

ideas 2008/3/5 13:26
A meishi is not an ad or resume, but it's your name card. So when writing in Japanese, it's supposed to have your "occupation" on it instead of details on what you exactly do. So if I were you, I would choose this kind of expression;

-name
英語講師(グループ・個人)
校正(日本語→英語)
tel: **-****-****
fax: **-****-****
mobile: ***-****-****
email: *****@******

Actually, I'm not really sure if people in general recognise that "kosei" is as same as being a チェッカー. But then, I'm not sure if チェッカー is a recognisable word to mean this occupation. Let's hear from others.

It's also possible to combine all this information on one side, which might save you money;

first name last name カタカナ名・姓 
English Instruction and Proofreading
Private Lessons Available
tel: **-****-****
fax: **-****-****
mobile: ***-****-****
email: *****@******

and then print the following on the corner or whatever;
英語講師(グループ・個人)
校正(日本語→英語)

or you can put the Japanese parts on the left and English parts on the right or whatever.

I guess you can make an example first and let a working Japanese friend see if the layout looks professional.
by Uco rate this post as useful

possible correction 2008/3/5 13:33
It just hit me that you are probably an

英会話講師 (meaning to teach conversation)

and not an

英語講師 (meaning you can teach grammar and high school exam English)
by Uco rate this post as useful

Profreading 2008/3/5 13:39
Mel,

In addition to what Uco suggests, I would suggest "プルーフリーディング" for proofreading. I don't think anyone really uses "校正". As Uco says, "チェッカー" is also pretty common.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

thanks! 2008/3/9 08:50
Thanks guys! I especially had no idea people used katakana terms for proofreading- good to know!
by Mel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread