Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto, 1 day sightseeing.. 2008/3/5 23:27
We (4 older adults) plan to arrive at Kyoto JR Station on the morning of April 3 (09:00).

On this trip to Japan, we only have 1 day to spend in Kyoto, so I was planning to visit just the following places.
Kinkakuji
Ginkauji
Kiyomizudera
Heian Shrine
Tetsugaku no michi
Nanzenji

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the best route to follow and any other places to visit.
We are able to walk and utilize public transportation.

Thanks
by Lacalifusa  

... 2008/3/6 11:35
You will have to travel at a fast pace in order to cover everything on a single day:

Kyoto Station - (bus or taxi, 3 km) - Kiyomizudera - (bus or taxi, 2.5 km) - Heian Shrine - (walk, 1.5 km) - Nanzenji - walk Tetsugaku no michi - Ginkakuji - (bus or taxi, 7 km) - Kinkakuji - (bus or taxi and subway via Kitaoji Station) - Kyoto Station

If there are four of you, taxis can be surprisingly cost-effective. Considering your pressed time frame, you might want to consider a taxi ride here and there.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks again Uji 2008/3/7 00:52
I have tentatively made the request for the "English" tour of the Old Imperial Palace. In your opinon, which is better, the Imperial Palace in Tokyo or the one in Kyoto? I'm sure that they are both worth visiting but if you had to choose between the two, which would you choose?

by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

.... 2008/3/7 13:27
Kyoto's Imperial Palace has spectacular, traditional buildings and gardens. The Tokyo Palace is a modern building. Not very spectacular, at all.

I certainly recommend Kyoto over Tokyo.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.......Domo....... 2008/3/7 13:58
I got the 10:00am "English" tour confirmed.

Think we'll visit the Kinkakuji Temple after the tour and then head east to Ginkakuji Temple.
After there, we'll work our way south and finish out tour of Kyoto at the Kiyomizu Temple.

I decided to follow your suggestion and will use taxi cabs to get around Kyoto.

Do you know a GOOD kaiseki restaurant that's between Kiyomizu Temple and the Jr Kyoto Station? If you or someone knows of one, the name and phone number or website would be great so that I can place the dinner order a week or so before we get to Japan.

As always, THANK YOU UJI!!

by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread