Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working mom 2008/3/7 17:44
I have a 6 months old child and I want to go back to work.
1)How can I put my son in the child care center?
2)Are there any child care centers in Tokyo?
3)Are these too costly?
4)Do japanese companies have child care center as in the Us?
Where can I find the information about child care centres?
by Mom  

Have a look at "Being a Broad" 2008/3/7 17:55
Below is the address of the day care info page taken from a website called "Being A Broad in Japan" which has loads of information for women in japan. I think the page answers most if not all of your questions.

http://www.being-a-broad.com/en/living_information/mothers/j...

by Sira rate this post as useful

hoikuen 2008/3/8 07:31
Childcare centres are called hoikuen. The first place you need to go for information is your local ward office, as the best hoikuen are run by the local ward, and are generally good, clean, well-managed and do lots of activities with the children. The fees depend on your income. But of course the public hoikuen are extremely popular, and there is usually a waiting list for places. In Tokyo, you normally have to apply in January for a place starting in April (they follow the Japanese academic year system); since you have missed this year's application deadline, your chances of getting a place before April 2009 are probably not very high, though some areas have shorter waiting lists than others.
There are also privately-run hoikuen. Some of them are state-approved, so the local ward office will have information about them, and sometimes you apply through the ward office.
Then there are completely independent hoikuen. Some of them are "registered" (ninka) which means they have to meet certain standards, others are completely unregulated, but there is such a shortage of childcare that some people still end up using them. For lots of info on childcare, search on the discussion boards at tokyowithkids.com.
by tokyoite rate this post as useful

reply to this thread