Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Acknowledgement for Condolences 2008/3/8 03:12
What is the proper and formal way to say thank you or to acknowledge condolences messages and support (from friends/church members condolences) in Japanese? My Nihonjin friend's mother passed away this week. The services are tomorrow. Thank you.
by MN  

... 2008/3/8 19:03
Are you saying that you are attending the service and want to know what to say to your friend or the reception?

At the reception, you only have to bow silently (as a greeting) as you write your name and address on the guestbook. Typically you bring along with you an envelope of "koden" or "reizen" depending on the religion. You will probably have no chance to speak to your friend tomorrow, but if you do you can say "go-shuu-shou-sama-deshita" which is a typical greeting you say to someone who has lost a family member.

If you are not attending the ceremony, I suppose you can just send your friend a card later or join friends who are intending to send flowers or koden/reizen.
by Uco rate this post as useful

P.S. 2008/3/8 19:06
I forgot to say that I didn't understand why you ask how "to say thank you." I'm not sure what you want to thank your friend for.

Clarification 2008/3/9 06:09
I believe the TC is trying to ask ''How would a Japanese person respond to / accept condolences from others.'' Unless I am mistaken.
by Azazal rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/9 13:06
"I believe the TC is trying to ask ''How would a Japanese person respond to / accept condolences from others.'' Unless I am mistaken."

That Japanese person would most likely say "arigatou gozaimasu".

But even if that was the TC's intention, I don't understand why (s)he would want to know that.

money(Jway) 2008/3/10 08:39
I am am a bit late but I recall seeing on TV not long ago, that you should never give fresh bills for a death, in the worst case make it seem used bills, as this means you did not prepare the money in advance(basically plan this money for a death)
by Chuck rate this post as useful

reply to this thread