Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living in Japan (financial) 2008/3/8 05:49
Me and a friend decided to study at a normal language school in one of the ''cheaper'' area's in Japan for atleast a year now would be able to surivive if we had about 2.841233 YEN combined. We can share a room.
by Makiyo  

. 2008/3/9 00:57
Please anyone?
by . rate this post as useful

life in japan 2008/3/9 03:26
did you thought about writing your question in the search window right above the whole list of questions? this gives you previous posts about similar questions. one of them is:
www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+45388
by money man rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/9 08:05
yeah ive looked at some of them but my situation is a bit different so i cant compare. Since for 2 persons the language school will cost about 9.000 euro for 1 year that leaves out around 10.000 euro for living/accomodation/food for a whole year. and im not sure a scholarship can be given at a normal language school or part time jobs for us (we are both 19 and we dont have our uni degree yet)
by . rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/9 09:01
How much yen will you have?
The number you listed has a decimal there, Japanese money doesn't use decimals.

by John rate this post as useful

commas and decimals 2008/3/9 09:35
In Europe they use decimal points where we use commas, and vice versa, so she has a bit over 2,000,000 yen. There are too many variables to be able to give an accurate answer in my opinion. Some people could survive on a million yen a year, others couldn't.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/9 09:49
Ah, I see.

But thats for two of them combined! @_@

by John rate this post as useful

budget? 2008/3/9 12:49
Actually I misread the number. it's closer to 3 million yen so just over 100,000 yen a month each. When I first came to Japan on a working holiday visa I lived on not much more than that but my accommodation was very cheap and I didn't go drinking or shopping much or travel around Japan a lot.

It could be done but you would need to draw up a budget and be very careful with your money. You also have to think about things like having to fly home in case of an emergency and be sure that you will be able to do that.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/9 15:21
Do you already have a visa? If you don't I think that will be your biggest problem. Maybe someone with a pre-college student visa can chime in but I've heard that they want to see Y2-3 mil yen in bank per student, per year. Maybe one of you have to stay home.
by Big Tom rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/9 21:36
No, we dont have our pre-college visa yet. We will apply for them pretty soon. We will have about 1577600 yen per bank account but we will share room and dont go out that much and live in a cheaper place of japan. I hope we'll get through with the visa. We are just trying to find a cheaper language school that has accomodation.
by Makiyo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread