Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sumo - only afternoon matches worth it? 2008/3/8 23:42
Hi,

I am planning to watch the Tokyo sumo competition in May 08. I look at a typical competition day link on the sumo webpage, to me it seems to suggest that the morning, actually anything before 3pm are those trainee sumos competiting.

Given that I am in Tokyo for short time, can someone please confirm that only the afternoon (after 3pm) matches are the top quality ones, and the ones that worth it? I do not want to spend full day on sumo.

Also with tickets bought, I can go in and out of the stadium at any time right?

Thanks
by Brian  

... 2008/3/9 07:29
to me it seems to suggest that the morning, actually anything before 3pm are those trainee sumos competiting.

No, they are not trainees. They are regular wrestlers, however, they are the lower ranked wrestlers. Their bouts are usually less spectacular than the bouts of the higher ranked wrestlers and come almost without any ceremonies around the bouts.

Given that I am in Tokyo for short time, can someone please confirm that only the afternoon (after 3pm) matches are the top quality ones, and the ones that worth it?

Yes, I highly recommend not to miss the action between around 15:45 and 18:00 (from around 15:00 on the last day of the 15-day tournament). If you skip that part, it would be like visiting a classical concert and leave after the orchestra members have tuned their instruments.

Also with tickets bought, I can go in and out of the stadium at any time right?

Not sure about that.
by Uji rate this post as useful

early sumo 2008/3/10 00:17
If it's between not going at all I suggest going.

The lower ranked bouts I find to be just as interesting, kind of like college football. There are more spectacular plays.

They seem less exciting because most Japanese won't show up until the last hour or two so it is really empty for the ealry bouts. To get the full experience you have to stay to the end though.
by Jupiter Rising rate this post as useful

reply to this thread