Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

curfew for the youth? 2008/3/10 00:36
is is true that there is a curfew (10pm onwards) at the major cities in japan for the youth(20 and below)?
by edy  

. 2008/3/10 09:14
Depends on the area but 18+ would be more like it instead of below 20.

Even though 20 is the legal adult age, 18 is also considered for many things as well. Its sorta like being 18 and 21 in the United States. At 18 you have some rights at 21 you have other rights.

Enforcement on the other hand is another story.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/10 09:14
I'm not sure if its nationwide, but kids below 18 yrs old are not allowed to be out after 10 pm where I live.

It seems to be rarely enforced by the police however, unless they are wearing a school uniform in which case its easy to spot the under 18yr old.

Theaters, game centers, arcades, etc. will definitely deny entry those in school uniform after 10. They also check the age of people who look young when entering after 10. Because I look young I'm always asked my age when entering these places. I just tell them my age and they let me in, but they don't check ID.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Curfews 2008/3/10 09:15
Edy,

The exact rules vary from city to city, but I believe Tokyo and Yokohama are amongst those that have a curfew on under-18s after 10 or 11 o' clock. Even where there is no overall curfew, many cinemas and amusement arcades prohibit under-18s at night.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

You learn something new every day... 2008/3/10 09:40
Wow, 9 years in the Kanto area and I never knew that. Has anyone actually seen it enforced?
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/10 09:51
Never seen it in person, but when I worked in High School we had a regular meeting to discuss what to do with the kids that were "caught" doing various things by the police. Besides an occasional shoplifting charge, they were mostly curfew violations. The kids were usually caught at the train station, but sometimes at karaoke or restaurants. It was only like 4-5 a semester of 600 students though.

Btw, the way I've seen the students avoid any such problems was to change out of their school uniform when out late.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Prefectural by-law 2008/3/10 19:43
It's a prefectural by-law, not depending on the "city" but the prefecture. Most prefectures including Tokyo and Kanagawa has a by-law restricting those 17 years old and under (18 sai miman) to be outdoors after 11:00pm. The by-laws were enacted just a few years ago.

Because of this law, late night entertainment such as movies and concerts that finish after 11:00pm do not allow those 17 and under even if they are accompanied by an adult. Theaters are quite strict about this and will not sell tickets to you unless you have a proper ID.

On a related note, as far as I know all game archades do not allow those 15 years old and under to be in their premises after 6:00pm. After this hour, clerks will come around to check your ID and if you're younger you are politely asked to leave.

However, it's not like if a teenager goes to buy a bottle of coke to his/her nearest store after midnight, the police will take you downtown. But they will have a good reason to stop you and question you and politely tell you to go home, if they spot you.
by Uco, mom of a 16 yr old rate this post as useful

thanks for the replies 2008/3/10 21:15
thank you for all those who replied. we're planning to visit japan on the 1st week of april and all of us are ages 20 and below. we just want to make the most of our visit there.
by edt rate this post as useful

its ok 2008/3/11 20:48
hey dont worry i live in japan and i go to a jp high school(but im not exchange stuident) just normal student,
You will get away with alot of things, it doesnt really matter if your still under 20. They wont normally haras you due to being a foreigner (from experience)

But if you are staying in a main city or town then they wont be very strict to an extent, i find they are more strict in the local suburbs, such as karaoke and seven 11 etc.
by teay rate this post as useful

reply to this thread