Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What are the youth into? 2008/3/12 01:13
i am planning on going to japan soon, and i was wondering, what are the youth (16-19) into? Dont wanna feel like an outsider.
by Kidddude  

... 2008/3/12 10:20
That's an awfully broad question. How about telling us what you are into and we can let you know if its popular with Japanese youth.

However, as a former high school teacher, I'd say it was the same as high school interests the US (where I'm from): club activities, sports, music, dating, etc. but not cars/vehicle (they can't drive in Japan while in school)
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

youth 2008/3/12 13:21
You will be an outsider anyway just because you are from another country. If you are an American, for example, you would be an outsider in the U.K. just as much as you will be in Japan. There is nothing wrong with that and you will attract more attention than in your home country(years ago I spent a couple of summers in foreign countries as part of a student exchange program and people were more interested in the differences between our cultures than in the stuff we had in common)
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/12 14:11
Actually, although you're not allowed to drive four-wheeled vehicles until your 18th birthday, a lot of boys are into cars and vehicles and they talk about it all the time dreaming about what their future. You can't help it when you're a boy :)

Anyway, you should tell us what you like, Kidddude.
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/12 15:27
Actually, although you're not allowed to drive four-wheeled vehicles until your 18th birthday, a lot of boys are into cars and vehicles and they talk about it all the time dreaming about what their future. You can't help it when you're a boy :)

Definitely, and especially around graduation time, but I meant not like, for example, the US where car culture can be very central to a High School student's life. When I was in High School many students spent a lot of time (and money) building, racing, roadtripping, etc. in their cars, while in Japan they can't. Of course, once they graduate...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply 2008/3/13 22:40
ok, let me rephrase that, i dont wanna feel TO MUCH like a gajin. (If thats how you say it). But i am into video games, pretty much all types of music, not cars, but motorcycles, and of course japanese girls. ;)
by kidddude rate this post as useful

Just be yourself 2008/3/13 23:09
Sounds like you are into the same things kids all over are into. Just be yourself, be polite and respectful and you will be fine.
by c rate this post as useful

one more addititon 2008/3/13 23:18
one more thing, what about pro wrestling over in japan?
by Kidddude rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/14 12:27
Pro wrestling is pretty big too, but probably for the older generation rather than the current teenagers. Anyway, you really sound like my 16 year old son. Btw, in Japan, you can get a motorbike licence on your 16th birthday, so a lot of your classmates might be able to relate to you.

Uco 2008/3/15 00:48
Anyway, you really sound like my 16 year old son.

well if he wants a friend from america over the internet, i would love to know someone from japan.Hey, maybe i can even introduce him to some american girls.
by Kidddude rate this post as useful

great! 2008/3/15 16:25
Kidddude, that sounds great! Since he's having serious trouble with his English grades, why don't you brush up your Japanese, go to an anime thread on the infamous 2ch. internet forum and introduce yourself. I'm sure you'll find him somewhere!

awesome 2008/4/5 09:40
great answer
by lol rate this post as useful

? 2008/4/15 00:49
which answer?
by kidddude rate this post as useful

reply to this thread