Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Quick translation question 2008/3/13 16:04
(I am not sure if translation requests are acceptable here. I used to read these forums quite a bit, but never posted. I travel to Japan a lot, went to high school, spend about a 1/3 of a year there every year since then, etc. But my Japanese skills are not very high.)

Could not find anything remotely helpful in my dictionaries (electronic/paper) or online in regards to the meaning of the following sentences. If you can tell me the meaning, it would be appreciated.

1. うちらいけとるもんなぁ
(I cannot find uchira. And I am assuming that iketoru is some sort of combination between iku and toru, but I am too low level to make sense of the sentence.)

2. (name)ままって何が好きなん
It is saying what does name like about whatever mamatte is. I thought the word might be the the te form of a verb (mamaru) perhaps, but that did not show up in the dictionary either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Will trade my Japan stories for translation. (Or contribute in some way.)
by jim  

... 2008/3/14 16:11
1. うちらいけとるもんなぁ

Rephrased into a bit more "non Osaka dialect, closer to textbook" style, it would be:
わたしたち いけてる ものね = We are cool guys, aren't we.

うちら = an Osaka expression for "we" or "us."
いけとる = an Osaka version of いけてる, which means "cool," "trendy," etc.  
2. (name)ままって何が好きなん

I'm guessing here that the person whose name appears in brackets is nicknamed "XXXX-mama." "(Name) mama" is sometimes used to refer to an older (not necessarily old-aged, but just senior to you, like an elder sister) in a friendly and yet respectful way. Does that suit the context? Again, in a more standard Japanese, it would be:
(name)ママって、何が好きなの? = Madam (Name), what do you like?
by AK rate this post as useful

how about...... 2008/3/15 22:09
is there a way to say:

when I am with you, there is nothing better.

and

do you know how much i admire and respect you?
by maarten rate this post as useful

reply to this thread