Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going 2 college in Japan & staying 2008/3/14 03:21
Ok, here's my status... I'm a 19 yr old freshman college student with a 3.0ish GPA enrolled in the University of Texas at Arlington in TX. My hopes and goals are to find a way to get into college in Japan for my Junior year. Not for just a one year transfer session, but to enroll, graduate, and maybe even live there perminantly. The first problem is I don't know nearly enough of the language to go to a regular Japanese spoken college. Are there Japan based, not temporary American exchange hubs but, colleges in Japan that teach in English too? If not I'm not sure what the best way is to learn the language and still keep up in college here. The second problem is I don't have a whole lot of money, nobody in my life is supporting my dream and I have no help. My college probably won't give me any info since what I'm requesting is to leave them and stop giving them money... I ultimatly just want to finish out my schooling in Japan and move forward from there. My major is Psychology but I'm willing to change that if it means a good chance of getting a degree in Japan... I'm just at a dead end now and I feel like, especially without my family and friends support, my dreams are fading fast. Any help would be great.
by Colton  

. 2008/3/14 11:38
You're better off finishing school in the US where you have more options to student loans and federal aide.

Going to school in Japan is expensive, not withstanding not just school but finding your own place to live etc.

Graduate in the US, get a bachelors degree, and find a job in Japan with a company that will pay a salary and compensate on housing.

Take Japanese classes at school.

Talking and thinking about permanent residences etc should be later, especially if you haven't even lived in Japan yet. Thats something to decide later.
by John rate this post as useful

Investigate TUJ 2008/3/14 13:25
Temple University in Philadelphia has a satellite campus in Tokyo, where classes are taught in English. A 3.0 GPA will make transfer difficult, but perhaps not impossible. Check their website to begin your investigation. Classes are demanding and tuition is expensive, but it might be a place to start. Good Luck
by Shayla rate this post as useful

studying in Japan 2008/3/14 16:37
Bear in mind that you are expected to bring a good deal of money with you to Japan if you come on a student visa- that might be one of the biggest challenges for you as it sounds like you don't have a lot saved up yet.

Are Americans eligible for the Monbusho scholarship? New Zealander friends of mine have been studying in Japan on Monbusho (Ministry of Education) scholarships, but they had excellent academic records. I am not familiar with the US system so I have no idea what a 3.0 GPA means I'm afraid.

In any case, it might be worth searching online for info on the Monbusho scholarship.
by Sira rate this post as useful

School 2008/3/25 12:42
Kansai Gaikokugo Daigaku
(Kansai Gaidai) is a creat school in the kansai(osaka) area that caters to those japanese interested in learning english and foreigners looking to go to school in japan. You should check to see also if your school covers part of the cost. In most cases, if accepted, you will pay the same to attend a foreign school as you do to attend your school.
by Ben rate this post as useful

reply to this thread