Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Enogh Money? 2008/3/17 16:28
I read few threds on this forum but still have a question.I will be joinig a tokyo firm in April 2008.I am offered 9000000/Year salary and my wife will be getting 6000000/Year.We do not have kids and will need to bear all our expenses including rent and groceries and comodity bills.Howz this deal?Should we go for it?Is is a good money?
by Greg  

... 2008/3/18 00:21
You can definitely live well on that salary in Tokyo or anywhere in the country for that matter.

No offense, but how come everyone posting this type of question always seems to have such high salaries?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

good salary 2008/3/18 08:09
I agree, that is a much higher salary than average- typical English teachers earn around 4 million yen a year or less, and they survive on that- you will have a combined income of almost 4 times that so will be able to live very comfortably.

Occasionally people do post here asking if they can live on 2 million yen a year or less though.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Salary 2008/3/18 08:41
It would be realistic to say that you could use just your wife's salary (minus tax) for your apartment rent, plus utilities (gas, electricity, water, phone, etc), to get a nice, reasonable sized apartment for two people in Tokyo.

You need to be aware of the costs of moving into an apartment though!!
You would pay up to:
- 1 month rent in advance

- deposit/bond, refundable = 1-2 months rent

- Key money = 1-2 months rent

- Agent's Commission = 1 month rent

Guarantor's insurance = 0.7 month rent

So up to the equivalent of 6.7 months rent up front to move in!!!
by Sandy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread