Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Zen "tour"stops 2008/3/18 15:44
Hello everyone,

I have some time for travel coming up, and would really like to focus on the Zen sect of Buddhism this time around. I've lived in Japan for quite a while now, and have visited many of the major "attractions". However, I have recently been considering that Zen is greatly lacking in what I've seen, Ryoanji temple in Kyoto being the only temple.

So I have a couple of weeks and enough funds stored up for a few hotels and shinkansen rides and am hoping to see some Zen temples or locations. Any recommendations/advice?

Thanks,
Gmonkey
by geekmonkey  

Daitokuji 2008/3/20 07:18
In Kyoto I'd recommend Daitokuji, which is in the northern part of Kyoto. It's a huge complex with many sub temples. Getting there early in the AM is a great experience as most of the gardens are free of visitors and it's lovely. One of the sub temples (I can't remember the name) has an early morning Zazen session available to visitors for a small contribution. I'm sure the visitors center at the station would have info.
by Tay rate this post as useful

reply to this thread