Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamakura Vs Mt Takao 2008/3/19 12:16
Which is better between Kamakura and Mount Takao for a short day trip out of Tokyo at the end of March? Which is prettier? Sakura scene? I like to take photos, see quant shops, beautiful Japanese architecture and I love mountain streams. But I don't fancy strenous hiking. However, I read that Mt Takao is pretty easy walk. The walking path no 1 on Mt Takao passes through any mountain stream? I plan to take the chairlift up and then take a walk along route no 1.

As for Kamakura,I will also be visiting Nara (I read that the Buddha statue at Kamakura is smaller but more impressive due to the setting. So is it worth it to go to Kamakura?

I don't have time to do both so it's got to be one or the other..
by Mel  

Kamakura 2008/3/20 04:37
I haven't been to Takao-san...planning to see itnext month, but I've been to Kamakura and it is beautiful. The Daibustu (big Buddha) is magnificent and there are also lots of great small and traditional style shops in the area. On top of the typical stops in Kamakura that nearly all guidebooks or websites recommend, it would be well worth your time to visit Hokokuji temple. It has a great bamboo garden and path through it that leads to a small area where you can sip green tea, watch bamboo grow, and reflect. Use the Enoden line (I'm pretty sure they have a special ticket called Enoden free pass) that will take you to or near all the major attractions and save you some walking time. It can also Take you to Enoshima to see the beach and other nice things.
by Kev rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/20 07:22
If you are looking for lots of sights then Kamakura is much much better.

Takao is ok, but if youve never been to kamakura, then I woud go there.
by John rate this post as useful

Another viote for Kamakura 2008/3/20 07:56
I have been to both many times, and Kamakura wins hands down if I have to choose between them. Takao has nothing to compare to the Daibutsu or Tsurugaoka Shrine. The row of cherry trees going up the road towards Tsurugaoka Shrine is beautiful and worth seeing.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread