Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

visa extension, how long? 2008/3/19 15:40
i applied for an extension of the 2-year college student visa granted to me but it's been 3 weeks since i applied and i haven't received the postcard yet. i've already booked my ticket for my vacation abroad which is 2 weeks from now.what to do? thanks!!!
by ella  

visa extension 2008/3/20 08:03
Call Immigration to check the status of your visa, then wait, and consider postponing your vacation. It is a good idea not to give yourself too short a timeframe where Immigration is concerned. I take it you know that your visa will be cancelled if you leave Japan while the extension is being processed?
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/21 11:25
thanks sira! i didn't know about that rule but it's good i've learned about that in time.
by ella rate this post as useful

Extension 2008/3/21 11:39
Ella,

From past experience, Immigration generally won't/can't tell you how long the process will take, and will tell you to just wait until the postcard arrives. A month or so is quite likely.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Visa extension 2008/5/12 18:18
Just in case anyone reads this thread and has a bit of a panic (as I just did) about the statement "your visa will be cancelled if you leave Japan while the extension is being processed" - this is not true, as long as you have a valid re-entry permit for your current visa.
by Jimmy rate this post as useful

leaving Japan mid process 2008/5/13 09:38
That's interesting- I have always heard that you can't leave Japan while your visa is being processed. I would be interested to hear confirmation of what Jimmy said.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Visa extension/leaving the country 2008/5/15 16:36
I asked at the immigration centre when I applied for my extension. They said it would be no problem. Might be a recent change to the rules, I don't know. I guess there might be a slight risk if you are away from Japan for an extended period because when your postcard arrives it apparently has a date on there by which you have to get yourself down to immigration. The official I talked to said it would be OK as long as I returned before the expiration date of my current visa. Anyone in doubt should call immigration to be on the safe side.
by Jimmy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread