Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

fugu: osaka, kyoto, tokyo or sapporo? 2008/3/19 18:36
out of the following four places, is one better or cheaper to eat fugu?

Osaka
Kyoto
Tokyo
Sapporo

What is an average price?
by grodgersOZ  

... 2008/3/20 05:39
do you really want cheap fugu? That is certainly one item I would save up for and buy quality.
Are you looking for just a fugu item or a whole meal too? I don't know of any specific locations or prices, but have heard it can easily run over 10,000 yen for a meal, though a simple dish can be found cheap if you just want to try it.
by ben rate this post as useful

lack of taste 2008/3/20 22:06
well, im open to the idea of a full meal or just a sample. my logic atm was that seeing as most ppl seem to say it is either bland or rather tasteless, im going to eat it more for the "wow" factor and to see what the numbing sensation is like, plus its a good story to tell (i ate the deadly fish and lived etc).

So, if i can get the numbness etc from just a few samples, then i would prob just try that, seeing as no one seems to rave on about how great the taste is, i cant see any point to eating more of it once im a bit numb.

However, if a full meal didnt cost too much, then i would try it anyway.

Aside from the town thats famous for fugu (i cant remember its name but i read it somewhere else in this forum) of the cities ive mentioned is any one better than another?
by grodgersOZ rate this post as useful

Shimonoseki . . . 2008/3/21 09:04
. . . is the city famous for fugu. Fugu lunch sets aren't that expensive there, around 5000 yen for the deluxe set with nabe.

If you are expecting the tingling sensation, then you may be disappointed. I've never noticed it. The sashimi has a peculiar rubbery or crunchy texture, which makes it unique. When fried tempura style or after rolling in flour, fugu is SUPERB white-meat fish! The meat on larger fish tends to get tougher (similar to chicken), so usually the smaller fish are sold fried. Unfortunately, the only place I know that sells fried fugu is the big fishmarket in Shimonoseki.

You can buy fugu fillets at occasional supermarkets throughout Japan, but those are usually frozen and thawed.

Fugu are prevalent in certain coastal areas of Japan. I was surprised to see baby fugu washed up on the shore at Cape Omaezaki in Shizuoka.

I think fugu in Hakodate might be pretty good so maybe Sapporo is your best bet. But there are restaurants in all big cities it seems.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

thank you 2008/3/21 14:42
Ill be spending about 3 weeks in sapporo, so thats good news!

thank you for the detailed reply, its giving me more to look forward to in the fugu way of things :)

Never felt the tingling? bugger. i know this could be a recipe for disaster, but should i dare ask a fugu chef to make it "extra tingly?"

by grodgersOZ rate this post as useful

reply to this thread