Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Inappropriate gestures 2008/3/25 15:26
I was wondering what would be considered to be rude or inapporpriate if an american were to display an action or body language in a meeting? what would you consider to be rude and what can we do differently?
by Stacy  

Re: Inappropriate gestures 2008/3/26 07:11
Not having been in a business meeting myself, I can only tell you that my parents-in-law always find it very funny that I gesture a lot and tend to use my hands and body language to make a point. I have the feeling that that is quite different in Japan.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Re: Inappropriate gestures 2008/3/26 07:12
Read: (..) my Japanese parents-in-law (..)
by Kappa rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/26 08:54
Check out this page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2195.html

I would pay special attention to business card etiquette.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

crossing legs 2008/3/27 17:11
One thing I can point out is that people from many countries don't mind crossing legs at proper occasions, but in Japanese business scenes, this is seen as an arrogant gesture. You are to keep both feet touching the floor at all times. I even know Japanese people who did business in the U.S. for years, and still think this way. Also, sitting on tables and desks (instead of chairs) and folding arms are basically considered arrogant too.

Of course, all these gestures are okay when you're relaxing with friends.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Here's some 2008/3/29 17:35
Not making direct eye contact with superiors. Don't pat them on the back or touch them in any way.
by Kiyo rate this post as useful

making direct eye contact with superiors 2008/3/30 19:09
is not a problem in Japan at all. In fact, it's better to look them in the eyes when speaking.
by Uco rate this post as useful

No direct eye contact 2008/3/31 00:52
Sorry, that hasn't been my experience. Making direct eye contact with my superiors will get me cold shoulders. I feel very uncomfortable doing it.
by Kiyo rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/4 13:44
No direct eye contact
Sorry, that hasn't been my experience. Making direct eye contact with my superiors will get me cold shoulders. I feel very uncomfortable doing it.

And this hasn't been my experience. I would suggest that you at least do what is considered polite in your home country, and then adjust to the particular situation.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread