Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Attend a Shinto ceremony 2008/3/26 10:16
I will be in Kyoto from 2-7 April, Takayama 7-9 April and Tokyo 9-14 April. I would be very interested in attending a shinto ceremony. Is that possible to do that on the above mentioned days and if yes where and when? Usually at what time of the day they take place?

Thank you very much
by maroma76  

. 2008/3/26 11:04
What type of Shinto Ceremony?

Weddings at Shrines you usually catch the public part of it when they are out marching about for photographs, but the ceremony itself is usually private.
by John rate this post as useful

Ceremony 2008/3/26 17:00
Shinto is often a source of confusion. I think it is erroneously referred to a "religion" in the western sense of the word. In many ways, it resembles Greek or Norse mythology, and no longer has any real adherents, or a system of faith and worship, but is more of a cultural "tradition".

Therefore, you will most likely encounter only wedding ceremonies. Though not "serious" ceremonies, they can be interesting enough, and can be caught at any of the most popular shrines--though as the previous poster mentioned, they are largely private. Heian in Kyoto is popular for weddings.
by Inago rate this post as useful

Shintoism 2008/3/26 18:00
Nearly every time I have been to a major Shinto shrine I have see a priest and a few "average" Japanese doing what looked very much to me like a ceremony in the shrine hall then move towards the back of the hall for the rest of the ceremony. Shintoism with a--for lack of a better word- "worship" of the nature in the guise of special rocks, rivers, springs and animals reminds me of the Celtic religion. The later is no longer a full fledge religion but in many parts of Europe people still meditate/pray then throw flowers at springs and other former Celtic holy sites. People in rural communities make garlands of flowers and leaves and also some unusual decorations to protect fields, animals etc.and this is definitely not a Christian practice. The summer solstice bonfires are still extremely popular, even in big towns and of course the Celtic log and the mistletoe sneak into Christmas festivities. If traces of Celtic beliefs are still alive in Western Europe after 2000 years this means that Shintoism is also well and alive. There wouldn't be so many shrines and so many priests if that wasn't the case.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Thank you very much!!!! 2008/3/26 20:48
Thank you all for your answers. I hope I will have the opportunity to taste a little bit of shinto while I will be there.

Maria
by maroma76 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread