Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tokyo free pass 2008/3/27 08:16
we are going to japan and arriving in tokyo and my son is stationed in the air force. We would like for him to meet us in Tokyo how much would a rail pass be for him from Hachinohe to Tokyo and back and also travel around tokyo for a week?
by Denny01  

. 2008/3/27 12:46
Most of the rail passes are only available to tourists entering on a temporary-visitor visa, which wouldn't include military personnel.

The "Hayate" shinkansen trains connect Hachinohe to Tokyo in roughly three hours, with a one-way fare of 15,350 yen. You can theoretically save a little money by taking local trains all the way from Morioka to Tokyo, but then your travel time goes over 12 hours!

For getting around Tokyo, consider a Suica or PASMO card:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html
by Nicholas rate this post as useful

Military options 2008/3/27 14:12
I'm not stationed in japan but I've gone there using some military options first have him check with his bases rec office most likely they have some way of getting to tokyo as I expect its a popular place for new people there. Another option is one if used to go from the US to japan Space-A didnt cost me a thing to or from japan problem with that is its not always reliable though between his base and the one near tokyo shouldnt be a problem he will need to be on leave but if hes going to be there a week he will be on it anyways. Just make sure he keeps enough to take a train back if he has to like I said flights can be canceled or rerouted but honestly should be ok anyways have him call the base operator and ask for the passengers terminal shoudl have a flight listing for the next 3days(security reseaons limit it to 3days). now depending when your going he can save money on lodging if he can stay at the New Sano hotel( http://www.thenewsanno.com/)its located in downtown tokyo and is run by the navy and has very nice rooms far better then anything you can normaly get in tokyo for the price I payed I think $45 a night and that was for a big room with nice sized bathroom should save him money its popular so he may not be able to get all the days he wants also have him check with the hotel to see if you can stay with him unlikely but I never asked was there with my wife. In any case those are some options that may save him money and make it easy to get to you. Oh and depending when he gets there the air base near tokyo has a bus that runs from it to narita airport once or twice a day faster then the train though I can't remember the times.
by Airforced rate this post as useful

reply to this thread