Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gaijins becoming animators in Japan 2008/3/27 12:02
Hi there everybody, I was just wondering, is it possible for foreigners to be able to get a job in animation, or possibly even game designing in Japan? I already know about needing a visa and a college degree to even consider thinking about obtaining a job in Japan, but I was just wondering if it was possible for foreigners to have other jobs in Japan besides teaching english and modeling.
by Genesis743  

jobs in Japan 2008/3/27 17:04
There are certainly plenty of jobs besides English teaching and modelling- I know exercise instructors, people in IT and finance, bar and wait staff, HR company staff and lots of other jobs. Generally for a foreigner to get a job here the fact that they speak English (or another foreign language) has to be as asset to that company or job.

Since English probably not a requirement for the job you mention, and there are plenty of Japanese wanting to get into that field, jobs for non-Japanese would be very few and far between.

I have a friend who coordinates translation of games into other languages, and I have seen similar jobs advertised on the job sites, but I should mention that my friend is bilingual.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/3/27 17:32
I see. Thanks for the information. =^_^= I'm currently a Junior in High School, and I've been studying Japanese for about three months now, and I was thinking that after I graduate from college I see if I wanted to become an animator or a game designer there in Japan. =^_^=
by Genesis743 rate this post as useful

To work in animation overseas... 2008/3/28 06:17
You're better off learning Korean instead of Japanese.
by Once Lucas rate this post as useful

Haha 2008/3/28 08:44
You're better off learning Korean instead of Japanese.

Yeah, nowadays Japan is outsourcing their work to Korea. And animators in Japan aren`t that happy with their working conditions. I`ve read reports on anime sites about how many of them aren`t making enough to live on. :(
by Chacha rate this post as useful

reply to this thread