Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

General Info about Osaka in Sept. please 2008/3/27 23:14
Hi,

I will be travelling to Osaka on Mon 22/September and will be arriving at 20:30 at Kansai International Airport. Departing 21:50 on Tuesday 30/September.

I am 17 years old and will be travelling alone. I will be staying at my friends in Toyonaka City, Osaka.

My main questions are;
- How easy is it and the cost to get a cab to Kansai International Airport to Toyonaka. And back again for my return flight? I arrive at 8.30pm so I would rather get a taxi to my friend than her pick me up cause it being so late I feel as if I'll be making her go out of her way just for me.
- Would t-shirt/polo shirt, jeans and shorts be suitable for the weather conditions?
- It is my friends 18th birthday the night I arrive. Over here in Australia 18th birthdays are a big milestone. Is this the same in Japan? What would be a suitable gift? I know she likes silver jewellery. Would this be acceptable?
- I also want to bring other presents from Australia as gifts for allowing me the privilege to stay in her home. (Mother, Her and Sister). What would be good things to bring and what should I avoid.
- What attractions in Osaka should I take the time to see that are worthwhile? I know of the aquarium on the bay where the Ferris Wheel is. Any other popular attractions?

Thank you very much for any help, it is much appreciated.

- Cody
by Cody  

Osaka 2008/3/28 13:29
cabs are very expensive in Japan and you are taking a 67 km trip! it would cost you about $ USA 150-200 one way! also most Japanese cab drivers don't speak English and have a hard time finding a private home in the suburbs.
I think that you should let your friend pick you up as
you can use trains but at your age and without experience of Japan this is very daunting. Just to give you an idea: there are 2 railway stations in the airport. I googled
www. hyperdia.com and got: KANSAI AIRPORT(21:52) TOYONAKA(23:19) 1380 1hour 27min 67.8 km 1 time. this means that you take a JR train from Kansai airport to JR Osaka station. You get off the station by the North exit then cross the street to go to the Hankyu rail station,5 min. away. Then take a Hankyu train to Toyonaka, a small town actually located on the other side of the mountain from Kobe. please check the pages about transportation under TRAVEL right up at the top of this page. Your friend could send you maps and how to go from here to there ..BUT JR Osaka and Hankyu station are both in the heart of a huge complex of 3 rail stations, 3 department stores and a huge underground mall under all that.It is a maze! it took me 3 trips to get the hang of it! I have a great sense of directions but still have to backtrack a couple of times.
Osaka is my favorite city (lots more to see than the aquarium) but don't forget that you are also near Kobe, Kyoto, Nara.. check all these places on this site under TRAVEL, Japan A-Z at the top of this page. check also www.skyscrapercity osaka and www.skyscrapercity kansai for great photos.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/3/28 14:14
Thank you very much :)

I learnt japanese for 8 years then had to stop 2 years ago, but I spoke to the current teacher at my high school today and she is going to give me private lessons during recess to help me get back into the swing of it before I go. So that'll be great! I really want to use my Japanese while I am over there.
by Cody rate this post as useful

Osaka 2008/3/29 14:58
As the previous poster mentioned, a taxi would be too expensive and train stations can be overwhelming if you don't have much experience. I agree it would be helpful if your friend met you at the airport.

There are a number of Toyonakas, but likely your friend is located near Higashi-Osaka, just east of central Osaka.

Late September will be hot and humid, though not as hot as August.

The 20th birthday in Japan is equivalent to your 18th birthday.
Japanese customarily bring gifts when visiting. Unique foods are often appreciated. Just for fun, bring some Vegemite, which is mostly unknown in Japan.

There is quite a bit to do in Osaka: the castle, museums, the giant key hole tombs, the entertainment district of Namba, an open air museum of old houses near Toyonaka. Jinaimachi near tondayabashi is a large, traditional, historic neighborhood in Osaka, that many Osakans are actually unaware of.

Keep in mind that you will be hearing Osaka-ben in Osaka, which is a bit different from "standard" Japanese. Overall, the accent is easier to understand than that of the Tokyo area, but you will encounter a slightly different vocabulary.

You will be close to Kyoto and Nara, but also consider Koyasan, or exploring the pristine beaches and coastline east of Wakayama.

Enjoy!

by Inago rate this post as useful

Thank you!! 2008/3/29 15:03
Inago, Thank you. I will be sure to compile a list of your recommendations and even take my Japanese friend, as you said many Osakans have not heard of Jinaimachi. Thanks again for the info! I'm looking more forward to my visit now, because of the insight I have of other attractions.

best way to toyonaka 2008/4/1 16:05
Best way to get to toyonaka from from kansai airport is via the limosuinebus that picks up right outside the arrival terminal. get on the bus that goes to itami airport and hotarugaike station. tell the bus porter you're going to hotarugaike. Hoturagaike is actually part of toyonaka city, but is 1 stop form toyonaka station (hankyu train). the limosuine bus costs about 1800yen, as far as I remember.
by gnerd rate this post as useful

best way to toyonaka 2008/4/1 16:06
also, trip takes about 70 minutes.
by gnerd rate this post as useful

Thx 2008/4/1 16:20
Thank you very much :)

reply to this thread