Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji fishmarket restrictions 2008/3/29 18:28
According to an article on the BBC news today, as of April 2008 Tsukiji fishmarket will scale down the areas and the time period that tourist will be allowed inside the Tuna auction area.

Tourists will only be able to watch the tuna auctions from a designated area and entry times are being restricted.

From 1 April, visitors will only be allowed to watch the auctions from 0500 to 0615. (..)

Between 20 and 30 people visit the market each day. Foreign visitors, said Mr Sugita, were inclined to touch and photograph fish they discovered had come from their home countries.

I'm actually surprised that there are only 20 or 30 people on average, I would have guessed the number was much higher. I personally, as a photographer, like the busy area outside much better :-)
However, I thought that they closed the whole tuna auction area from 2005? See also here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html

BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7319401.stm
by Kappa  

... 2008/3/30 08:41
A few years ago they already announced that the auction will be closed, but it has not been enforced. I have the feeling that despite the announcements, little will change after April 1. They seem to have neither the infrastructure nor the staff to control tourists.

I went there a few days ago, and the number of foreign tourists was over 100, including a tour group (!) and a person with a large suitcase (!). While most tourists kept to a designated "passage for visitors" area, some stood in the middle of the auction, taking pictures. Flashes went off every few seconds despite signs prohibiting flash photography. I witnessed dozens of situations where tourists hindered the workers on the market by standing in their way.

I left the market with the impression that the wholesale section is simply not suitable as a tourist spot. There needs to be some infrastructure for tourists and the stricter education and enforcements of rules on how to behave in the market.

I have heard about various things that are supposed to change after April 1. But as I wrote above, I doubt that (at least in the long term) anything major will actually change. I am planning to check it out once again by myself in a few weeks.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Fish market fun 2008/3/30 12:50
I went there this past November, and there were tons of people there. It could have well been over 100. However, in the auction area, people were pretty good at staying out of the way and not using flash photography. It didn't seem to me like people were in the way of the auction. Maybe because it was pretty early. From the standpoint of safety, I agree that for the auction, there should be a viewing area constructed for tourists. There's no way that tourists are going to just stop coming to the market though, and I don't see how they could actually 'turn people away', as that article says. You'd need a lot of policemen to physically block access to the area. It seems a bit shortsighted to me to just tell people not to come to the market.
by Bob rate this post as useful

updates? 2008/5/7 11:42
Has anyone been to Tsukiji fish market lately? How are restrictions now?
by ed rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/7 12:07
Has anyone been to Tsukiji fish market lately? How are restrictions now?

The signage has been improved. And there is at least one guard looking after tourists. The market staff itself seemed to have become increasingly harsh in dealing with misbehaving tourists.

But I did not notice anything about visitors not being permitted to the auctions after 6:15 as claimed by the BBC article.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Tsukiji 2008/5/7 13:08
I can understand some tourists being interested by a wholesale market but I can't understand the boorish behaviour of too many of them. How would they feel if tourists were barging in their workplace and taking their picture? Tsukiji is one place where I will never go, out of respect for the hard working wholesalers and assorted staff.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji 2008/5/7 16:14
Tsukiji is one place where I will never go, out of respect for the hard working wholesalers and assorted staff.
Well, it is a really interesting place to visit and I would recommend it but I agree with the rest of your post.
I've just returned from a visit to Budapest (nice onsen, btw) and saw people from a group of tourists climb on a statue to check under the horse's tail and a couple of years ago I noticed another group of tourists shaking the bells at a shrine in Ueno for a long time while singing Jingle Bells. To impress a girl or the desire to be found amusing, some people do go way too far when in a group. ^_^;;
Seems like they only need to restrict the visits of large groups and keep admitting the normal visits.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Thanks for update! Cheers! 2008/5/8 14:38
by Ed rate this post as useful

tsukiji... 2008/6/5 08:22
I've been to the tsukiji market during my last trip in tokyo, but did not visit the tuna auction as it was too early for me and my brothers. Anyway, it was a great experience for us. We had never seen so much fish in our lifes. However, there are a few store owners there who don't quite like tourists, so do be polite and dun disturb their usual business too much. You can have a look at the my tsukiji photos here at

http://3dudesintokyo.com/fishy-fishy-fishieee.html
by cooldudeben rate this post as useful

Able to view auction? 2008/8/23 08:52
Anyone been to Tsukiji Fishmarket recently? Would like to confirm if visitors will only be allowed to watch the auctions?

Also, is Daiwa Sushi or Sushi Dai still the popular restuarant to visit?

Thanks!
by zenn rate this post as useful

Tsukiji Fish market 2008/10/13 11:27
Hi all
Will be visiting Tsukiji market on 23Oct (Thu). Can someone let me know what time will be best to catch the fish auction? any good recommendation for sashimi food stall at the market? what time they open for business? we are 1st timer visitors, very eager & excited.
by toto rate this post as useful

Early 2008/10/14 10:15
I was at the auction right around 6.30. I got there probably a little before 6 and walked around the market area, then caught the auction.

I'd also eat at either Daiwa Sushi or Sushi Dai. I forget which one I went to, but it's worth it. The chefs are fun and they don't mind posing for a couple of pictures. Get in line pretty close to 7 am though. It will be a wait, but at least you can say you ate the freshest sushi, like ever! Still alive even!
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

reply to this thread