Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I want to study in Japan. ? 2008/3/31 04:10
Hi, I live in london and wanted to study abraod as i find it much more interesting to. The problem is that I cant find no websites that have a course in Air Traffic Control.

Does anyone know where i can study this in Japan ?

Many thanks
by Younesz  

Japanese level? 2008/3/31 12:55
Do you have native-level Japanese ability, in both written and spoken Japanese? If so, possibly you could get into a course if you also fulfilled the other requirements.

I very much doubt there are courses in English on Air Traffic Control in Japan.
by Sira rate this post as useful

huh? 2008/3/31 18:11
I would have thought ALL airtraffic controllers would NEED to speak English..it being the international language and all..what happend when a pilot who doe not speak Japanese wants to land at Narita airport? just my thoughts ;p
by me rate this post as useful

air controller 2008/3/31 19:13
to me: you are technically right however in most countries people learn English from teachers (from their own country) who don't quite speak as good an English as they think. until relatively recently it used to be compulsory for all young men in Europe to go to the army for a few years (they were unpaid in some countries).When I went The US air force was controlling a whole bunch of squadrons from many Euro countries.They all used US made materials and the official conversations during military exercises had to be in English. I heard pilots and air controllers talking to one another and most of the time it was hard to understand. Believe me, hearing Scots, Cockneys, Texans, Germans, French etc. talking to one another in a sort of conference call while 1/2 jets fighters are screaming above head would have made the Queen weep!! I worked as air controller during military maneuvers, tracking the positions of various jets on a on a map with a square grid then relying their positions using circular coordinates to other controllers and radar operators and it was so hard we had to be relieved after 1 hr then recuperate for about 3 hrs. Since then I have a lot of respect for airport traffic controllers.Especially considering that they are responsible for the lives of thousands of travellers.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/31 20:01
To "me,"
Just because air controllers "in operation" need to be able to understand and respond in English does not mean that college courses related to air traffic, aircraft engineering, history of aviation, possibly maintenance, etc., etc., are taught in the English language in all countries.

If you want to study at a Japanese university in Japan, you will need to be able to understand all the lectures/courses in the Japanese language (unless you find an American college located in Japan that provides the course you want). Sira's comment was more related to university entrance requirement as against air traffic controllers' working language.
by ... rate this post as useful

Sorry, but 2008/3/31 23:20
if you can't find any on the web, I doubt you will succeed in a Japanese school. You will need to learn to read, write, and speak in Japanese.
by Konnichiwa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread