Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say goodbye 2008/3/31 08:54
Is the word matane rude? If you say it to someone you just meet does it mean you don't like them?
by sonam tsering  

... 2008/3/31 10:49
"Mata ne" (literally "Till again" but) is like "See ya!" So it would not mean that you don't like that person, but it sounds very casual that it might take him/her by surprise :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Ja 2008/4/2 12:00
If you say '' Ja matane'' Its like saying ''Well then, see you later''

If your trying to be formal, I would try saying Sayonara
by Aaron rate this post as useful

- - - 2008/4/3 00:40
Sayonara is definitely the proper thing to use on a first time basis with someone. Mata ne is quite informal. Mata aimasho would be somewhere in between, wouldn't it?
by Tay rate this post as useful

I agree 2008/4/4 00:26
with Sensei I always have to say "sayonara" and never "mata ne". Even though I'm going to see them again in a week, it's always "sayonara."

In other cases, sayonara is used to say good bye forever or for a very long time when it's amongst friends and the people close to you.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/5 20:01
Between friends or casual meetings Ja ne is usually used, meaning a casual bye or see ya. Sayonara means goodbye but is usually used when you won't be seeing the other person for a long time or never again. Also when you need to be very formal. Mata ne means see you later. Being very casual (and slang as well lol) you can just say ja which loosely means bye or later.
by Nao rate this post as useful

Don't forget the goodbye at work... 2008/7/6 22:52
"otsukaresamadesu" + shita (thanking people for their efforts) at the end of the day is the most common way of saying goodbye in the Japanese work place. The confusing one is the the way work culture uses otsukarasama as a greeting during the day after the initial ohaiyo-gozaimasu in the morning.You should try it with the Japanese people you know...they'll get a kick out of it.
by EQuinn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread