Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Joining verbs as "OR" 2008/3/31 12:35
I need to know once and for all the proper way to join verbs together in the sense of "or".

Like how would I say: "Do you love him or hate him?"

I've come across an unclear explanation on using "ka" between verbs, but the example used the verbs in their noun form and then used "suru" at the end. Can this be done without changing the verbs in that way?

On Space Alc, I've also come up with using the ~tari form as "or". Is that appropriate?

Any help is MUCH appreciated. :)
by Po  

... 2008/3/31 17:31
"Do you like him or hate him?" ...in polite speech would be:
- Anata wa kare ga suki desu ka, (soretomo) kirai desu ka?

Though in Japanese "suki desu" (like/love) and "kirai desu" are not really verbs but adjectives. An example with true verbs would be, let's say, something like: "Are you going to take the train or walk?" ("arukimasu/aruku" = to walk," "densha ni norimasu/noru" = to take a train)
- (Anata wa) Densha ni norimasu ka, (soretomo) arukimasu ka?

In either case, you can add or omit "soretomo." If you have "soretomo," it emphasizes that it's alternatives.

"...tari" form is not "or" in the sense of "either A or B" (alternatives), but it's more like "(doing) things like A, B, or C, etc.," so not quite what you are looking for. An example:
- Shuumatsu nani wo shimasu ka? (What do you do on the weekends?)
- Eiga wo mitari, hon wo yondari, ongaku wo kiitari shimasu. (I do things like watching movies, reading books, listening to music, etc.)

What kind of example used the "noun form of verb and added suru"?
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/1 21:43
AK- I have never heard of the -tari form, guess my class has not gotten that far. it looks like it is formed and used very much like -te form though no? what is the difference?

Thanks!
by bgalfond rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/1 22:10
bgalfond,

I guess you are thinking of a sentence (using the same verbs):
- Eiga wo mite, hon wo yonde, ongaku wo kikimasu. (I watch movies, read books, and listen to music.)

The difference between using "...tari" or "...te" is that, as I stated in my earlier post, with "...tari," the meaning of "...or, ...or, etc.," suggesting that those are not everything that you do; "I do things including, ..., ..., and ...." WIth "...te," it sounds quite definite and orderly, as "....te" is used to talk about things you do in a certain sequence. For example,

- Asa gakkou ni kuru mae ni nani wo shimasu ka. (What do you do in the morning before you come to school?)
- 6-ji ni okite, kao wo aratte, asa-gohan wo tabemasu. (I get up at 6, wash my face, and eat breakfast.)
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/2 05:19
OK, I see now. Thanks!
by bgalfond rate this post as useful

reply to this thread