Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bitchu and Hachiman 2008/3/31 13:52
Dear Uji,

I notice that some Japanese places have the prefix "bitchu" or suffix "hachiman". Could you kindly explain the meaning of these terms.

I was at Adachi Museum two weeks ago, you are right - there is no snow, only Daisan has.

Thanks and Regards,
May
by May  

May I reply? 2008/4/2 19:08
I am not Mr. Uji. And Ifm not good at English. However, please allow me to reply.

Hachiman is name of the shrines that enshrine Emperor Oujin, Empress Jingu (Oujinfs mother) and the goddess Himegami. Original shrine is in Usa city of Oita prefecture. The worship to these gods became popular from 8th century, and many Hachiman shrines had been established in other parts of Japan. The places that have suffix Hachiman were famous for their own Hachiman shrines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachiman_Shrine

If you had seen the prefix "Bitchu" in Okayama prefecture, it is old name of the province of western part of the prefecture. By using those prefixes (old name of the province), the towns are distinguished from other towns that have similar names in other region. Those ways are very common.

Sorry for my officious comment.
by jtomi rate this post as useful

Thanks Tomi 2008/4/3 13:47
JTomi-san,

Thanks very much for the clarification.

I was confused by the kanji translation for bitchu, I thought it meant "getting ready"
by CMW rate this post as useful

reply to this thread