Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to buy shredded cheese? 2008/3/31 18:38
I just moved to Tokyo from Southern California a couple weeks ago. I'm already craving some good old Mexican food. I could find most things in stores except a vital one: shredded cheese for tacos, burritos, etc!

Does anybody in Japan have any clue where I can get my hands on some good old shredded cheese?
by Dan  

... 2008/4/1 08:11
You can buy shredded mozzarella at almost any supermarket. If you want cheddar or something else you can buy small amounts at some supermarkets or larger amounts online such as here:

http://www.fbcusa.com
http://www.theflyingpig.com

but it comes in blocks and you'll have to shred it yourself.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

thanks! 2008/4/1 10:43
thanks for your response. Yeah I was able to find the white cheese but only found semi expensive blocks of cheddar at Tokyo food show. I guess I'll just have to go that route. Thanks!
by Dan rate this post as useful

shredded=grated? 2008/4/1 12:04
Is that the same as grated cheese, or different? If it's the same, most of the supermarkets in my area in Tokyo sell grated cheese in bags.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Grated = Shredded 2008/4/1 12:08
Yes, grated = shredded. I only put shredded since most of the packages in American say shredded rather than grated.

If you don't mind me asking, which area of Tokyo are you in? I'm guessing that if I head towards an area like Yokosuka or Roppongi, I'd have better luck.

Thanks!

Try normal supermarkets first 2008/4/1 15:39
I live in Ogikubo, on the Chuo Line, and I am talking about the ordinary Japanese supermarket Seiyu. Is it that rare a product in Japan?

International supermarkets like Seijo Ishii and Kaldi have many branches and I'm pretty sure they stock it. Seijo Ishii has a shop just outside the South East exit of Shinjuku station.

On the other hand, I don't know where in Roppongi you would find it, and I think a lot of the military people in Yokosuka would do their shopping on base.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/1 16:23
If you don't mind the shredded cheese that people might use as pizza topping, then yes, I see that type of cheese almost every day in my neighborhood (not Roppongi!) at a regular Japanese supermarket. Would that do?
by AK rate this post as useful

shred it your self 2008/4/2 08:26
If they have blocks of cheese contact a friend back home if you can find one localy and have them send you a shredder.
by Airforced rate this post as useful

shredded cheese for tacos 2008/4/2 08:36
I live near a 'Summit' grocery store and they sell bags of shredded cheese. I think it's only mozzarella, but you can have that in tacos. Also, 'Queen's Setan' is a more upscale store near Kasuga station (it reminds me of Andronico's in CA), and I know they sell all you need for tacos. It is expensive though.
by Bob rate this post as useful

Thanks for responses! 2008/4/2 10:21
Thanks for the responses everybody! I'll be sure to take into consideration everybody's responses.

Since I was desperate for taco cheese last night, I ended up just getting a block of red cheddar and using a vegetable peeler. It was somewhat close but not close enough. Yeah... I know I'm being a little too picky. haha.

reply to this thread