Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

walking in Tokyo 2008/4/1 05:21
Hello,
I wonder how to have a walk in Tokyo. I have been told that there is no street direction signs. How do people go to an adress when they do not know it before ?
I would like to find a map of the city with romanji letters.
I have looked at Google Maps but it is only Kanjis. Does anyone know another website ?
Where can I find a good paper map ?
Thanks !
by Guillaume  

Addresses in Japan 2008/4/1 12:06
Usually in Japan to find an address we take a map (maybe printed from the internet) of the shop/ restaurant/ building we want to go to, or we get directions from/ go with someone who has been before.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Here are some English Maps 2008/4/1 12:36
Here is a link to a map of tokyo in English - it is a PDF file.

http://www.cityofnanaimo.com/asia/Japan/Tokyo.pdf

by Map Link rate this post as useful

Tokyo map 2008/4/1 13:51
Am excellent map book of Tokyo (with English and Japanese) is the Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide
http://shirakawa-go.org/lifeinfo/info/kankou/koutuujyouhou.htm
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

walking 2008/4/1 16:55
all main avenues have names in Romanji. usually in Japan people tell you (as in Europe where streets do have names but these names may change every few blocks and may can't remember all the names between A and B): "right by the subway exit, on the same sidewalk, there is a bookstore.walk along that street, going to your right-the bookstore facing you--until you see..etc." very easy..in fact you need to buy a special map showing all the Ku, Chome, cho (district-neighbourhood-block).
on the map the Ku is in big letters,the chome in big numbers, the ban is a small number BUT you will also see the ban on hydro posts and corner buildings. the last number in an address is the building number. it is not that hard actually
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Maps 2008/4/1 17:16
While my husband and I were there, we stopped at a Daiso and picked up a small book that had detailed maps of all the Tokyo wards. We were able to find addresses quite easily with it. You'd need to be able to read some kanji though, at least to be able to look up the wards.
by Nika rate this post as useful

walking 2 2008/4/1 17:17
google:
http://everything2.com/e2node/house%2520addresses%2520in%2520Japan
or google "how to find an address in Japan" and open when you see the above address. the explanation is logical but a bit hard to understand
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

what you see at the corner 2008/4/1 18:30
I assume the OP is asking how people walk around unfamiliar neighborhoods and narrow streets that are not exactly top-touristical areas.

It is indeed tricky since unlike the U.S. or Kyoto or Sapporo, streets of Tokyo don't always run criss-cross and only the smoggy roads have names.

What people do is look for landmarks, in particular what you see at the corner.

For example, when telling directions one would say, "Get off at 123 Station A1 Exit. Walk to your right. You will see ABC bank ahead of you. Turn left at the 2nd corner. The building at the corner is called DEF Building. Keep walking straight until you see a park on your right..."

I think the trick is to always ask someone to make sure you're making the right move whenever you're making a new move. I was raised in Tokyo and travel around the world, but I always hop in a store or stop a pedestrian when I'm boarding a new train or making a new turn.

The Koban police booth are also there to help you find your way. They have a detailed map. Needless to say, the takuhaibin delivery service men and postmen know directions too. Convenience stores also carry detailed maps, but the people working there are usually part-time students who don't really know how to look at it :)

If you don't know the language, try to ask questions in simple phrases rather than long sentences. For example, rather than saying, "Excuse me, but can you tell me the way to Tokyo Station?" Just point your finger to the air and say, "Tokyo Station?"
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread