Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to find Samurai 2008/4/4 04:18
My friend is planning on coming to Japan during the summer.

He has a big interest in Samurai and asked me if there is a location where there are prominent Samurai museums with weaponry, villages and living quarters. I was a bit clueless so any suggestions? It would be more ideal if there were located within the larger cities.

Thanks.
by Ryan  

Samurai 2008/4/4 16:05
Well, Matsumoto Castle is one place that has weaponry exhibits, and the castle itself is way cool - NOT re-constructed but the real thing.
One of the biggest samurai residence districts still existing that I know of is in Kakunodate, in Tohoku. It's not far from Akita but still kind of out in the boonies. I really liked Kakunodate and there is a whole street of former samurai residences, well-preserved and very interesting. Here is one:
http://www.samuraiworld.com/english/index.html
I believe there are Samurai houses in Kanazawa but I've never been.
If you do a google search for 'Samurai residence' or 'bukeyashiki' you can find many houses here & there.
Here is the Tokyo Sword Museum:http://www.tcvb.or.jp/en/infomation/5museum/23sword.html
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

How about... 2008/4/4 16:27
How about EDOMURA. You can see there many samurays (actors). Also ninja, maiko...I'll recommend it :-)
by Rakuda rate this post as useful

difficult question 2008/4/4 21:57
It's difficult to answer your question. I mean, I cant point out a single place to see all the things you mention.

So...
The best museum for samurai weapons must be
* Ohyamazumi Shrine Treasure Hall
The best samurai castle is
* Himeji castle
The best preserved samurai district would be
* Hagi castle town

but you can also see authentic Samurai Swords and Armors even at Tokyo National Museum. :)
by Ts rate this post as useful

reply to this thread