Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Peace Park, does it really worth it? 2008/4/7 21:35
I'd like to know forumer's opinions who've been to the Peace Park in Hiroshima. Is 90 minutes too short to visit it? Can I skip it? or is it a must on my stay in Hirosihima? Any suggestion will be welcomed
by Vicker  

Hiroshima 2008/4/8 11:01
Vicker,

From memory, the park itself is nothing special, but the museum is a gruesome must-see, even if you spend only an hour there.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Well I suppose 2008/4/8 12:55
The park is intended more to relax, rather then sight see, as there is not much to it. I recall many hours there, just sitting around relaxing and playing around around with the school kids on field trip.

The museum can be viewed in less then 30 mins.
by Jeremy rate this post as useful

must see 2008/4/8 13:32
there is really no point going all the way to Hiroshima if one doesn't go to the Peace park.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

Yes 2008/4/8 15:50
i would highly suggest visiting genbaku dome and heiwa park. you'll learn a lot about the 1945 bombings at the peace memorial museum. it's a pretty big part of japan's history.

you could probably cover it all in 90-120 minutes, no problem. though the hiroshima castle is just a short walk away (maybe 10 minutes) and it's also worth seeing. so i would also recommend adding that to your itinerary.
by Kaye rate this post as useful

Peace Park 2008/4/8 16:16
School children come to Peace Park from all over Japan and they sure don't go there to play and relax. As a foreigner I was asked by several children-in English- my thoughts about the Hiroshima destruction by the atom bomb. I found the museum very sad and moving.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

a must see! 2008/4/8 20:07
The Peace park is a must see when you visit Hiroshima. The museum is also a must see, otherwise you don't understand why so many memorials in the park have these folded paper cranes and why so many schoolchildren make them. The museum takes much more than 30 minutes if you also read all the stories behind the items displayed. For me, this museum is one of the best, because it shows the horrors of a A-bomb attack and that this should never happen again anywhere on this planet!
by Bert rate this post as useful

Peace Park, does it really worth it? 2008/4/8 21:48
I've been to the Auschwitz Concentration Camp and the Nanjing Massacre Memorial. I guess I couldn't miss this one either. Thank you all.
by Vicker rate this post as useful

.... 2008/4/9 00:15
Perhaps, I poorly worded myself, I should explain that indeed the school kids on there for a serious manner, and I too have been ask my thoughts, and properly sign a 100 peace to the world posters they make.

However they do get a bit of free time to run about, and is during that time, it quite fun to play with them. I'm sure being in my 20's I may get more playful kids, over that then an adult.

The museum to me, can be fully enjoyed (not the best word to use) in a rather quick manner. Unless you use the a tour guide or listen to the audio tracks, one can view and read all materials in a short time. However I should say it your not largely familiar with the history, indeed pace should be slow down.
by Jeremy rate this post as useful

If you go there and see only one thing- 2008/4/9 02:04
The A-bomb dome. Just that alone got me moved, pondering humanity, and thinking for the whole rest of my trip.
by Kev rate this post as useful

Peace Park 2008/11/27 14:13
Why would you visit Hiroshima and "skip" the Peace Park?! Are you coming for the food?
And, yes, people do play and relax in the Peace Park. I sit there all the time with my 4-year-old son (Japanese). We eat and read and think (me). A very active, living site and that is what it is meant to be.
There are also many things going on: concerts, ad-lib guitar players, river cruises, guys fishing, homeless people taking in the sun on the benches that serve as their "homes". Complicated and LIVING city and "just" relaxing in the Park, especially near the river will tell you lots about Japan today. Why the need for speed?
by HiroLifer rate this post as useful

good to go 2008/11/27 15:18
yeah when i was there in the summer i went to the museum, gets pretty depressing but after you go out side you will probably see a lot of children running around having fun asking you questions. also make sure you check out miyajima spend at least 2 days there, miyajima you can spend half day there if not more
by dave rate this post as useful

Hiroshima mon amour 2008/11/27 15:41
Relaxing in the Peace park after visiting the memorial museum and watching children playis especially meaningfull as it shows that no matter how horrible some periods of our lives can be, there is always hope. I read that Hiroshima residents came back to the destroyed town and spent a gloomy winter clearing out rubble and rebuilding their lives. When spring came wild flowers bloomed in the ruins and their sight was a huge morale boost to the survivors.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Hiroshima Peace Park 2008/11/29 04:19
If Auschwitz Concentration Camp and the Nanjing Massacre Memorial is your thing, then this would be in the same category. I think the museum is great and it cost only 50 yen. The city is pleasant and you can try Hiroshima style okonomiyaki in Okonomi-mura. Also, you should make the short trip to Miyajima.
by Ichinensei rate this post as useful

reply to this thread