Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinto wedding translation help needed 2008/4/12 13:07
My fiance posted here before asking about Shinto ceremonies (we are two Americans who want to get married in Japan). We have been researching them and getting some help from one of the ryokans we stayed at in the past.

He suggested Shimogamo jinja, in Kyoto. He told us that we could pray at the shrine for 10,000 yen, but that a full ceremony would be very expensive. I found what seems to be a list of prices on Shimogamo's website and I was wondering if anyone could help us translate a little of it to get an idea of prices.

http://www.shimogamo-jinja.or.jp/bridal/p0364BPE/siorix_2.jp...

I would ask the ryokan owner, but I don't want to be too much of a burden since I think it might be difficult for him to translate (he speaks English, but not super fluently).

Can anyone give me an idea of what the ceremony would cost with the rental of kimono/hakama/haori etc? It seems there are different levels of ceremony. Is there any way to have the ceremony for $1000, or is that impossible? We would like to have san san kudo and wear traditional Japanese clothing if possible for that price.

The other question I have is would it be strange to wear a western wedding dress at a Shinto wedding? I'm not sure what the ryokan owner meant by ''praying at the shrine only'', but I'm guessing that was just praying to the kami without full ceremony and kimono, etc. What would one wear at a shine wedding if they didn't wear kimono?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
by mikazuki81  

Just an outline 2008/4/13 12:57
From upper left:
- Ceremony accompanied by music: 80,000 yen
- Special ceremony: 600,000 yen, including ceremony accompanied by music, commemorative gifts, use of traditional Japanese gear for the couple (including dressing and make-up, etc.)

On the left side, the list continues with the prices for renting different dresses/suits (for the groom, a set of traditional Japanese gear for 60,000 to 130,000, and for the bride, "uchikake" kimono for 100,000 to 750,000 yen), then followed by banquet menu and prices.
On the right side, they are listing all the prices for dressing/make-up, followed by photographs, gifts for the attending guests, and the process/steps of applying for the ceremony up until the date of the ceremony.

I think $1,000 (about 100,000 yen) would be difficult - If you just asked for the "ceremony accompanied by music," (80,000) and bring in your own gear, there seems to be some kind of charge for bringing in your own gear (and using their dressing room facility I suppose) of 30,000, so those alone would exceed 100,000 yen.
by AK rate this post as useful

thanks! 2008/4/14 11:58
Thank you for your help!
I think renting the kimono is a little out of our budget since the wedding will be very small.

We actually found a backup idea for a shrine wedding in Washington state. This way more of our family will be able to come.
by mikazuki81 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread