Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka/Kyoto, Multiple hotels or one? 2008/4/14 10:13
Hello,

We are planning to spend approximately four full days in this area of Japan. The plan is to spend two days in Osaka and two in Kyoto.

Would you recommend staying in one central hotel and traveling (JR pass) to the different destinations or stay in multiple hotels?

Currently, areas of interest in addition to Kyoto and Osaka are Kobe and Nara.

If it is better to stay in one central location, is Kyoto or Osaka the better choice? (any hotel recommendations also greatly appreciated)

Thanks in advance.

by Hawaii LS  

Osaka/Kyoto - Multiple Hotels? 2008/4/15 03:46
Hello Hawaii LS:

When we visited Kyoto & Osaka we stayed 2 Osaka nights and 3 Kyoto nights. For you, it depends largely on what you plan to do in both Cities. If only in one City, Kyoto is the preferred.

Half day trip to Nara from Kyoto and 2/3 day for Kobe from either City works. Kobe is ½ hour from Osaka and 1 hour from Kyoto, one way. From Osaka we also went to Takarazuka City to see the Takarazuka all-female review.

If this is your first visit to these Cities, I don't think you have enough time for Kobe with your 4 days. More time should be devoted to Kyoto over Osaka.

Hotels near Kyoto Station and Osaka-Umeda Station are recommended. I'm sure others will recommend their choice but it depends on your budget.

Have a wonderful and safe trip!
by Harold rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/4/15 04:58
Harold,

Thank you for your advice. This will be our first time to Japan so you are probably correct that Kobe may not fit into our schedule.

Checking the hotels through online sites, it appears staying in Osaka is more economical than Kyoto. Our budget is approximately Yen 10,000 ~ 14,000 per night.

I thought perhaps the JR Group hotels (I belive they are the Granvia Osaka and Granvia Kyoto) would be a good choice as they are right next to the station and offer a discount if you purchase the JR rail pass.

However, they are a bit above our budget price but I'm not sure how much the discount is. On their website, when you click the discout link it says "under construction."

If anyone knows where I can find the discount information, that would be greatly appreciated.

So if I stay all four nights in Osaka, doing day trips to Kyoto and Nara should not be a problem? Hyperdia seems to indicate it's about a 30 minute train ride one way.
by Hawaii LS rate this post as useful

one Hotel 2008/4/15 05:57
I have visited the Kansai 6 times so far and have stayed 5 times in Kobe, by the JR Sannomiya station (Toyoko inn). The 6th time was in the Hilton in Kita Osaka (mainly because we got a huge discount). I never find the train rides to Kyoto, Nara and other places long because back at home (in North America) I commute by rapid transit for 45 minutes (one way)everyday. There is lot of stuff to see during a train ride! the look and style of houses, solar panels on the roofs, gardens, rice paddies, etc.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Multiple Hotels or one? 2008/4/15 06:55
Hawaii LS;

The Grandvia Osaka is where we stay but with the weak dollar at about 100Yen to one US Dollar makes this hotel expensive at over $200USD and likewise for the Grandvia Kyoto. Even with the JR discount, the resulting price will be on the high side.

Do a search just above these postings for Toyoko Inn's website as many who've posted highly recommend their hotels because of their convenient location and budget pricing.

When we travel, we prefer staying in the Cities we visit except for places with less attraction such as Nara or Himeji where half day trips suffice. Plus, we prefer access convenience and limiting our train rides.

So, it's up to you to decide your itinerary. Know that in front of the train station and Grandvia Osaka is what I believe to be the largest underground shopping mall in Japan and there is a huge ferris wheel on top of a building about one block away. These are simply interesting things to see and do while in Osaka besides visiting Osaka-jo. You can still do this by commuting from Kyoto as well.

I said Kyoto being preferred as there is more things to do in Kyoto. Last May we stayed across the street from the main exit of Kyoto Station at Hotel Hokke Club Kyoto to the immediate left of Kyoto Tower booked through JTB. It's a small hotel and probably will cost about $150USD for 2.

You should still check Toyoko Inn's website and hopefully others will post their suggestion.
by Harold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread