Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pets in the cabin. What's well behaved? 2008/4/16 12:38
First, I was wondering if some airlines still allowed this option for importing pets to Japan. Some sources I've seen include Japan Air Lines and United (although, I think United is gone now?)

One source said that only ''well behaved'' pets were eligible to travel in the cabin with you. How does the airline staff determine whether or not your pet is well behaved? In my case, I have a 1 1/2 year old Jack Russell Terrier, under 20 lbs.

Thanks for the help, in advance.
by Matt  

pets in cabin 2008/4/17 07:06
I don't think the airlines make that determination, I think they rely on the customer to only bring a pet that will not inconvenience other passengers. The pet's carrier has to fit under the seat like any other carry-on, and the pet can't come out during the flight.I would imagine that a dog that barked incessantly or was not house-broken would be considered not well-behaved - but I don't know what they'd do then.
When I travelled with a cat in the cabin, I had to hold the cat going through the security metal detector while the cage went through the x-ray.
If you are bringing a pet into Japan be aware they are a rabies-free country and you have to take certain steps in advance, especially if you want to avoid a 108-day quarantine.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/4/17 07:18
Thanks, ''Spendthrift''. Do you know if the carry-on option is available for Japan-bound international flights? I'm thinking, specifically, for the US to Japan.
by Matt rate this post as useful

Pets 2008/4/17 07:55
Matt,

As far as I can see from their websites, neither JAL nor ANA allow pets in the cabin.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

pet in cabin 2008/4/17 08:08
When I brought my cat to Japan five years ago I flew United and it was no problem to have her in the cabin.
If I were you, and anytime I travel with pets, I would call the airline and ask specifically. Keep track of who you talk to, and when - even if they only give you a first name. When you make the reservation, clearly state that you intend to bring a dog into the cabin. Tell them again a few days before you fly. In each case, keep track of who you talk to and when.
It sounds crazy but I had a very bad experience once when I had told them I was bringing two BIG dogs and when I arrived at the airport, the crates I had (extra-large) would not fit through the baggage compartment door. They asked me, 'why didn't you tell us your crates didn't fit on the plane?' To which I could only reply it wasn't really my job to know that.
So anyway, speak up early and often about your plans.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

One per plane 2008/4/17 09:30
I know that United Airlines allowed one animal per flight inside the cabin.
by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

dogs on the plane! 2008/4/17 10:35
My friend brought my dog from the USA to Tokyo on United this past November. I believe United only accepts pets in the cabin now, and not cargo.

As far as well behaved goes, they just don't want the dog barking and whining all the time. My dog got a little fussy after 5, 6 hours, so my friend brought her into the bathroom to relax. Also, your vet can prescribe a sedative for your pet too.

There's lots to do when bringing a pet into Japan. I agree that you should keep meticulous notes while preparing. We stayed on top of all the paperwork, and didn't have any problems with the officials here in Tokyo.
by Bob rate this post as useful

Sedative? 2008/4/17 12:23
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Bob, my understanding is that it is not wise to administer sedative to your dog while they are in flight. Does this only apply to those riding in cargo, or all animals in high altitude situations?

Again, I find this all very helpful. The context of these questions are, of course, if I were ever to move to Japan for the long term. Such an opportunity hasn't materialized yet, but if it does I'd like to be prepared.

I'm wondering if anyone else could share their experiences regarding flying with their pets. Specifically dogs, and more specifically in-cabin. I'm trying to figure out what airlines are open to this option for international flights.

I've been reading up a bit on the quarantine procedures and preparations, but advice regarding this or shared experiences are welcome.

Thanks again.
by Matt rate this post as useful

You otta know 2008/4/17 13:59
well behaved seems to be common sense. If you've gotta ask I wouldn't recomend bringing any pets.
by it's me rate this post as useful

Recommendation 2008/4/17 14:07
I haven't flown internationally with my dog (a miniature pinscher) but I did fly from Vegas to Virginia with him and I truly recommend going to your vet and getting your animal a sedative. I only gave my 12lb dog half of one pill and he slept for most of the flight. By the time we landed he was asking to be let out of his bag and while I was trying to get my luggage he was demanding to get out. What prompted me to do this was because I thought about how the flight affects me (pressure changes, turbulance). I have the ability to do something for myself to alleviate any discomfort I may have but he wouldn't have and he wouldn't have understood why he had to have the discomfort. I believe giving a little pill to make him drowsy and sleep for a few hours was better than having him potentially crying the whole way. It's the same way a normally good baby will cry the whole flight. Just my 2 cents.
by Michelle rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/17 17:46
I used to fly to Japan with JAL 4 or 5 years ago.
There is a japanese family bring thier cat with them in the cabin.
There is no problem with me.
by labayod rate this post as useful

reply to this thread