Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How would I go about finding a job? 2008/4/20 09:21
I know people ask this question alot, but I think mine is a bit different. I know about the whole procedure of the different types of documents, and I plan on going to college here in America so I can get everything straight. But usually when foreigners begin their life in Japan, they end up being a teacher or a part of some big company. That's not what I'm aiming for. I want to know how I can find jobs at little shops or venues in Japan. I know alot of places like that would benefit somehow from having an English speaker as an employee. Plus I'm a pretty hip and very interesting kind of person(I'm sure I'll bring some sort of attention to the shop. haha) I am "half way" fluent in Japanese, and I am confident that in a few years time, I'll be able to communicate on a native level. How would I go about finding a job at one of those cool little places that us teens admiring Japan love so much?
Thanks
by LemonLilac  

... 2008/4/20 10:19
Unless you go to Japan on a spouse visa (which allows you to do any job), you will be restricted to jobs, for which the employer cannot find a Japanese employee, i.e. a job that requires some skills that the employer cannot find among Japanese people, e.g. special linguistic or technical skills. The following pages should give you some idea:
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/04.html#a
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/appendix1.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

I know 2008/4/21 18:58
Thanks Uji. I already know the process of visas, alien registration and all of those things though. I know what I have to go through to get those and I already have help in advance. But what I want to know is, how do I actually find one of these jobs? I know I have to look around at the stores that I'm interested in, and I even know some cool little shops that are willing to hire a foreigner. But do I just go in and ask for a job? Or should I just wait around and see what comes to me? (which probably wouldn't be a good idea)
by LemonLilac rate this post as useful

Visa? 2008/4/21 21:14
LemonLilac,

I already know the process of visas, alien registration and all of those things though. I know what I have to go through to get those and I already have help in advance.

You sound very confident about the visa situation, but did you actually read the documents Uji provided links for? Which visa category do you think you will qualify for to work legally at those cool shops or venues?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Yes 2008/4/22 03:05
I've actually been through that exact document many times(and many like it). I have no intention to even go to Japan if anything was to be illegal. That's why I'm still trying to get information on everything. If anyone wants to teach me more about all of this, I'd be totally greatful. I still have a long ways to go, so I have more than enough time to do reseach and find out how to do things the right way.

Not sure at the moment 2008/4/22 03:16
Oh, and the kind of visa I will apply for? I'm not sure actually. As I'm not in college yet, and I don't have any main-stream career plans, I am still at a hold as to what my career goals in the future will be. Actually, I'm not as confident as I seem. I've read and (tried to) understand the system of visas and everything, but I'm still not sure as to what will actually happen.
=(

reply to this thread