Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is weather cool, or hot in May? 2008/4/22 02:59
We're staying in several towns outside of Tokyo and Kyoto like, Hakone,Nikko,Nara and Takayama. Is it colder there? Does it often rain in May? Should we bring umbrellas for the overall trip? Thank you for your responses!
by love2trvl  

... 2008/4/22 14:27
Is it colder there?

Nikko, Takayama and the higher elevations of Hakone are somewhat cooler than Tokyo and Kyoto, but pretty mild, as well.

Does it often rain in May?

In Tokyo, in rains about once every three days in average during May, but on many days it is just a light rain. About once per week, there is strong rain. These are average statistics. Of course, the reality can vary strongly from the average.

Should we bring umbrellas for the overall trip?

Yes, I recommend to do so.
by Uji rate this post as useful

weather 2008/4/28 02:15
I wouldn't bother bringing an umbrella, buy a cheap clear plastic one there...much cooler and you see through it so better for sightseeing. they are dirt cheap and are sold everywhere.
by candylion rate this post as useful

Umbrellas 2008/4/28 08:05
I'd recommend just purchasing a compact umbrella while there. I found many great designs that were *really* compact. Far more than I've found around the US. The cheap plastic umbrellas are good in a pinch, but i felt wasteful buying one.
by Nika rate this post as useful

temps in Nikko 2008/4/28 08:12
I went to Nikko last July and it was only 13 degrees in the daytime. Being at an elevation of 1000m, Nikko can be much cooler than Tokyo, so I recommend bringing a warm sweater or light jacket with a sweater to go underneath.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Is weather cool, or hot in May? 2008/4/28 08:18
Thank you all so much for your very helpful answers! I will return the favor when I get back from my trip.
by love2trvl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread