Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo to Sapporo 2008/4/24 02:28
I would like to take a train from Tokyo to Sapporo because I am staying with a friend over the winter. What is the best route, with the least stops? I know I could just fly, but I figure the scenery will be pretty nice, especially during winter. Thanks for the help
by jbalsamo  

well... 2008/4/24 09:51
it's not winter anymore so don't expect to see much. you will see sakura once you get up into northern tohoku and hokkaido though.

the fastest train route is the hayate LEX (shinkansen). a ticket up to hachinohe will run you about 14,000yen. make sure to get on the right car or you might accidentally end up going to akita, the train splits in morioka. once you're in hachinohe you can transfer to a train that heads through aomori and up to sapporo. i think it stops in hakodate as well.

by winterwolf rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/24 10:22
It is described here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5306.html

make sure to get on the right car or you might accidentally end up going to akita, the train splits in morioka.

All seats on the hayate are reserved. Your set reservation will specify a seat and car number. Therefore, there is no danger that you will end up in the wrong car.

i think it stops in hakodate as well.

You will have to change trains in Hakodate.
by Uji rate this post as useful

mm 2008/4/24 11:26
-All seats on the hayate are reserved. Your set reservation will specify a seat and car number. Therefore, there is no danger that you will end up in the wrong car.-

makes perfect sense to a Japanese (Or someone who has traveled around in Japan often) but it can be confusing for someone who's never ridden the trains before and knows no Japanese.. Also aren't there unreserved tickets available for all JR trains that basically mean you can get on the train but can't sit down unless a seat is empty?
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/24 15:27
Also aren't there unreserved tickets available for all JR trains that basically mean you can get on the train but can't sit down unless a seat is empty?

No, the hayate has no unreserved seats. Seat reservations are mandatory. It is also not difficult to find the correct car and seat, sinve everything is displayed clearly and bilingually.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread