Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What are my options? 2008/4/25 02:35
Hello. I am 20, I currently have 2 classes left till I obtain my associates degree at the college I am attending. I plan to and hopefully have high hopes of getting a M.D. in computer engineering (if that matters).

Anyways, I need something new in my life and I have always loved Japan and Japanese culture. I finish classes in the summer and really would like to just..leave and go there.

What do you suggest I do to prepare for this and get ready? I have read a few of the articles on the site already.

If I would like to stay over the 90 days I would need to have a job correct? As well as obtain an alien registration?

What kind of jobs are available to me at my age with college experience? Well, more so with just, experience in general? Are teaching jobs of people my age common? What grade level do you suggest?

Also, as a tourist or even student, I am not allowed to engage in paid activities. How can this be changed or even ..how do I earn money if I would like to live there for a long period of time?

I can not fluently speak Japanese, I reconize many Kanji characters as well as reconize many words when spoken. I have been studying for quite a few years (self-taught).

Also, how much money would you suggest when going over? 5k+ enough till a job is made possible?

Thank you for any and all responses.
by Aaron00  

faq 2008/4/25 08:54
Aaron00,

The options available have been discussed many times in this forum, so I suggest you take the time to read back through similar threads. You don't mention your nationality, but if you are from a country that is involved in the Working Holiday Visa scheme, then that is about your only option for staying longer than 90 days and working. If not, you will need a university degree to get a full working visa.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

90 days 2008/4/25 10:11
It really depends on where you are from. I'm from Ireland. I have a different visa now and it's been a while but when I came here 1st I could renew my tourist visa within Japan so a total of 180 days before you have to change visas or get out.
You options will also be goverened buy where you stay. If it's just money you're after there are plenty of jobs even if you don't have a work visa just like anywhere in the world. The easy no brain job is instructing English. You wont need any skills at all and there is always private work if you undercut the other instructors. There are also lots of small schools that will sort out your visa for you. Even if you dont want to do the "English" thing it's a good way to get your work visa issued. Then find a real job and leave. Many, many people do this. I would suggest that you come to Japan first then decide. You are young so do what ever you want and make it work for you.
by SAWBOY rate this post as useful

OP 2008/4/25 10:56
Sorry, I missed a few things.

I live in the United States, I have a working and up to date passport as well.

I have searched quite a number of threads, so you do not need to tell me to do it again. Simple answers can be enough, thank you. I have found the Temple College in Japan, a college close to me with a study abroad program, and a few teaching positions.
by Aaron00 rate this post as useful

Options 2008/4/25 11:15
Aaron00,

I live in the United States

Where you currently live is not particularly relevant, but if you are an American citizen, your options are basically as follows...

Tourist visa for 90 days - Does not allow employment or extension.
Study in Japan on a student visa - Allows part-time employment after a certain period.

Other longer term options include getting a full work visa once you have a university (bachelor's) degree, or a spouse visa if you marry a Japanese national.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

^^ 2008/4/25 11:24
So, if I have a tourist visa, I can not stay over 90 days, get paid to pay for things while I am there, or get an extention?

The only other option is to get a full work visa by getting a bachelor's degree? That seems hard to believe.

Student visa may work, however, I am not really considering that over anything.

... 2008/4/25 12:35
So, if I have a tourist visa, I can not stay over 90 days, get paid to pay for things while I am there, or get an extention?

No you cannot. While on a tourist visa you can only legally be a tourist and do tourist things.

The only other option is to get a full work visa by getting a bachelor's degree? That seems hard to believe.

Unfortunately it's true. You could also get a work visa if you have significant work experience in a field (10 yrs or so) but this would take way longer to get than the 2 yrs it'll take you to get a bachelor's degree.

Student visa may work, however, I am not really considering that over anything.

A student visa seems to be your best chance for immediate long term stay.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

545 2008/4/25 12:46
Thank you for your reply.

Hopefully my other questions can be answered.

... 2008/4/25 14:17
What do you suggest I do to prepare for this and get ready? I have read a few of the articles on the site already.

First figure out what visa you plan to come over on. Your planning will vary considerably depending on if you choose to study, work, or travel.

If I would like to stay over the 90 days I would need to have a job correct? As well as obtain an alien registration?

Yes, you will need a job, a study program, or a Japanese wife.

What kind of jobs are available to me at my age with college experience? Well, more so with just, experience in general? Are teaching jobs of people my age common? What grade level do you suggest?

Disregarding the fact that you don't qualify for a work visa, your age would be fine for teaching english at private conversation schools. Of course, not having a visa precludes you from everything.

If you decide to come over on a student visa and obtain permission to work, then you will need to be at least as qualified as a Japanese person to get what ever job you're looking at. That unfortunately requires fluent Japanese, except for jobs teaching English.

Also, as a tourist or even student, I am not allowed to engage in paid activities.

As answered above, you cannot work as a tourist. Students must obtain permission to work and can only work part time.

How can this be changed or even ..how do I earn money if I would like to live there for a long period of time?

It can't be changed. Tourists can't come for a long time, and students are required to prove they have sufficient funds to support the total cost of their studies including living expenses (or show support from, for example, a parent) before their visa is granted.

Also, how much money would you suggest when going over? 5k+ enough till a job is made possible?

If you're talking 5000 USD than that will barely cover your room and board for a 90 day stay. A good estimate is 100 USD (roughly 10000 yen) per day although it can be done for cheaper. At this point in time, 90 days is your maximum possible stay.

... 2008/4/25 14:25
I hope that answers your questions. My suggestion would be to come over for a few weeks during summer holidays, travel and see the sights. See what the country is really like. Then go back home and start working towards your bachelor's degree.

If you find that you really want to come back to Japan to live, then you will have way more opportunities with your degree. Two more years may seem like a long ways off but its not and the pay off both for your enjoyment of Japan and for your future make it worth it. Anyway, Japan will always be here when you're ready.

:E 2008/4/25 21:54
If you decide to come over on a student visa and obtain permission to work, then you will need to be at least as qualified as a Japanese person to get what ever job you're looking at. That unfortunately requires fluent Japanese, except for jobs teaching English.

This can still be made possible right? I can apply for a student visa by a school, ask permission to work as a teacher, and be able to earn money to live there?

Yes, I have looked and researched all the visas etc and max days. I see what you are talking about though, thank you very much. I have emailed quite a few schools for more information on study abroad.

I may just go this trip for 30-40 days and come back after my 4 years are up if I enjoy it.

reply to this thread