Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo for 5-6 days 2008/4/25 13:24
My hubby is going to Shinjuku for 2 days exam in Sep, and after that we will holiday for 5-6 days with our 3yr old son, planning on DIY the trip. We would be keen to look at some sight seeing, plus shopping(not high end types) and yummy food.
Can someone pls advise where are the must go places in Tokyo for 5-6 days, and should I spend couple of days at other cities like Osaka? Most TYO tour packages in SG included Osaka or Kyoto.
Thank you!
by Apple  

Tokyo 2008/4/25 17:28
Many people, including myself, much prefer the Kansai (Osaka region)to Tokyo as the Kansai is the heart and soul of Japan, with 3 former old capitals and so much to see. However 5-6 days is too much of a rush to see both Tokyo and the Kansai so I think that you should stay around Tokyo and absolutely see Kamakura-a short train ride away-- to give you a flavour of historical Japan. In Tokyo you have the usual suspects: Ueno, Asakusa and Akihabara for the typical everyday Japan and Harajuku, Omotesando and Ginza for international fashions with a Japanese twist. There is more of course: Shinjuku, Roppongi, Odaiba...it depends on how leisurel you want to explore the city.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

with kid to Osaka 2008/4/25 20:18
With your kid, i would recommend Osaka as there is Universal Studio and there are a lot of shopping you can do from local to high-end. Kyoto is very nice but i think it's not so convenient with kid as you have to travel from place to place by bus and it's crowded.
by Phontong rate this post as useful

Disney plus 2008/4/25 22:32
I think that taking the 3 year old to Tokyo Disney would almost be a must do....unless of course you are from Paris or LA.
I would probably also suggest doing something a little different which is to ride the Yurikamome out to Odaiba in the evening and go to a restaurant with a bay view. Lots to choose from and easy to find...and child friendly.
It's a long way from Tokyo to Osaka to get to Universal Studios and there really is so much to see in Tokyo for a first timer to Japan. I would recommend Lonely Planet Tokyo as a guide to planning your time.
Kamakura is nice but given a choice with restricted time I'd opt for a day trip to Nikko. It is far more scenic.
by Rod rate this post as useful

Disney 2008/4/27 13:56
Thanks for all the replies.

For disney, should we go to Disney LAND or SEA? Will it be very crowded around 6 to 11 of Sep?
by Apple rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/27 14:21
For disney, should we go to Disney LAND or SEA?

Depends on your personal preference.

Will it be very crowded around 6 to 11 of Sep?

September 7-8 will be a weekend, therefore, it will be crowded. It should be less crowded on weekdays.
by Uji rate this post as useful

from japanese point of view 2008/4/27 20:13
In Kanto Area(Tokyo/Kanagawa/Chiba etc)
-Hot Spring in Hakone
-Nikko(see monkyes there)
-Asakusa(temples/shops)

In Kansai Area
-Golden temple in Kyoto
-Kimiyozu temple in Kyoto
-Big budda in Nara
by nana rate this post as useful

You can 'steal' my intinerary... 2008/4/27 20:39
Hey, you've come to the right place! I've been to Tokyo in March and have planned an itinerary for 4-5 days in tokyo beforehand. I've packed most of the popular destinations such as Asakusa, Tsukiji fish market, Shinjuka, Roppongi, Tokyo Tower, Sumida River Cruise, etc...

You can download my itinerary over at my blog at http://3dudesintokyo.com
by cooldudeben rate this post as useful

Nikko 2008/4/28 06:28
Yes, for sidetrips, I highly recommend Nikko, a place with excellent mix between culture and nature. Places to visit there: Toshogu Shrine, Kegon Waterfall and Lake Chujenzi.
by cooldudeben rate this post as useful

Onsen and Factory Outlet 2008/5/2 13:30
Thanks for all replies again.
We decided to join package tour instead of DIY coz it is more comprehensive, cheaper, and also convenient for a pregnant lady :)
However we will still be on our own for 3 days in Shinjuku.

I have few more questions, would appreciate if you can help me:
1. Will it be awkward for heavily pregnant lady(7mths) to appear in onsen? I know the bathroom in hotel is usually extremely small if the hotel have public bath, and it will be very uneasy for me to bathe in the tight space.
2. Is the limousine bus the best option to travel from Narita airport to Shinjuku? The hotel we will be staying is Keio Plaza
3. Is the Chelsea and Garden Walk factory outlet in Tokyo worth going?

Thank you!

... 2008/5/2 13:35
Will it be awkward for heavily pregnant lady(7mths) to appear in onsen?

I am not aware of any onsen in Shinjuku. A for pregnant women in onsen:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+20104

Is the limousine bus the best option to travel from Narita airport to Shinjuku? The hotel we will be staying is Keio Plaza

I personally would rather take the Narita Express, as it comes with a lower risk of being delayed. But the limousine bus is more comfortable, because it departs directly from the hotel. Taking the Narita Express would involve a 10 minute walk to Shinjuku Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Onsen 2008/5/2 13:45
Thanks Uji!
The onsen is for the package tour to Osaka and Kyoto...the link is very informative, likely I will bathe only and not dip

a rush if you visit Tokyo + elsewhere 2008/5/2 16:45
It's gonna be a rush if you visit Tokyo + somewhere else like Nikko, Fuji, Kyoto, etc.

Here's an example.
Day 1 - Tokyo Disney (your pick Land or Sea). Both are huge, it'll take two hours of time just to get there and back from Tokyo, and the parks are large enough to gobble up a full day just riding rides. Expect 1-3 hour long lines....

Day 2 - Now, if you've got energy to rise early after Disney, get on the 6am trains (I'd say 5am, but with kids....), and head for the Fish Market. That'll take a good three hours just to navigate, but at least you get a nice fresh sushi breakfast at the local stalls around 9am.

After that, you can head over to Ginza (which is just two stops away on the train), and do some shopping and sightseeing of the area (you can spend days here depending on what you'd like to shop and do). Let's say see a major dept. store (one of three there that start with M). that'll take 3-4 hours to go through -- honestly! They're huge! And stop for lunch.

Next, you can check the local Ginza movie theaters and Kabuki for times later that evening.

Now, you can head off to Tokyo Tower and look at the skyline (since it's off the route of most major spots, it'll take it's own time). Another 3-4 hours gone there just to nav over, go up to the two decks.

You can now decide dinner there, or back to Ginza for some nice restaurants.

after, movie Japan-style, or Kabuki (do rent the English tapes!!! or else you'll never catch anything).

Afterwards, short break for ice cream, dessert, coffee at Detour Ginza, etc. then back to the hotel to rest and recover.

Day 3 - You still up for it? Maybe not unless you've been exercising and enjoy day long walks. Most people will start to feel pooped out by now, and their feet will hurt a bit (good walking shoes are recommended! forget the dressy shoes, go for the athletic shoes with good support!!)

Okay, off to see Ueno - huge park + museum - that'll take morning to lunch, easily. After that, a little shopping in the local stalls just south of Ueno station, then blast on over to the Imperial Palace. This is another long walk, so 2-3 hours just walking from one end to the other. I suggest north east entrance down to the south exit, then head over to Hibiya park.

Hibiya is a 1-2 hour walk, but nice and there's some very nice spots where it just looks gorgeous (north east exit overlooking the gardens).

At this point, probably good for dinner or a break, so zip over to Oazu or Tokyo Underground Mall and have a bite to eat (lots of food places underneath tokyo station in both the Tokyo Mall and Yaesu Mall areas). The passage between the Marunouchi line and the Yaesu side has three stories worth of eateries underground in the station walkway.

Now, it's darker, sun's setting, so great time to head on over to Shinjuku (if you don't mind the kids and sex shops), or Shibuya if you like more of a busy hangout for teens. I'd pick Shibuya over the two just because the homeless are quite common in Shinjuku, and the sex shops all over the place. (maybe not good for kids)

This can be fun as you can wander for ages around Shibuya, so 3-4 hours just shopping and walking.

day 4 - tired yet?
Well, at this point, you can pick scenic things to do (eg. parks, temples) or shopping (Akihabara, Ginza, Marunouchi).

Temples are nice, so head on over to Asakusa - the biggest. There's enough to keep you occupied for hours, but by lunch, you should find a nice Okanomiyaki shop there to take a short break, or try a local restaurant. After, head on over to Sumida river and jump on the river boat rids for a nice view of the waterways.

Once you're off that, you can head on over to Meiji shrine. this one's a killer, so better have good walking shoes over the tiny rocks that line the way. 2-3 hours just to get into the Shrine center area, and back out again.

Once that's done, head over to Takadashi dori nearby, and have a break.

Do that and walk Takadashi dori, sightsee and shop all of the young people shops there. Very unique.

By then, it's either a late break or dinner time, so you can eat around Takadashi, or somewhere else.

After dinner, you can head on over to an sky deck - Sunshine, Roppongi, etc. all have rooftop views of the city at night -- assuming you've done tokyo tower earlier in the day and want to see Tokyo by night. You can substitute a helicopter night ride here if you've got the money ($150+ per person for 20 min or so), or something else.

But likely be pooped after walking Asakusas + Meiji + takadashi, so back to the hotel.

Day 5 - if you love shopping for gadgets, Akihabara + Yodabashi is a MUSt see. Yodabashi dept. store is easily a 2-3 hour fast walk and just breeze through the many levels without stoppoing walk, or 4+ hours if you actually stop on every floor and check out every gadget and toy. But it does have a great toy store so worth stopping by just to bring back some fun things. Restaurants on the top floor are okay, but not special.

After Yodobashi, Akihabara exiting the JR station that's market so, and you'll see amazing sights. Basically, if you're facing the big buildings, just head right, then head right once you hit the main street. However, before you do this, the three or four tall buildings right in front are decent touristy gift places to pick up easy gifts w/o hunting around too much. This will take you north along the huge masses of shops there, and when you stop is basically when you run out of energy.

Otherwise, go up a few blocks and on the right will be a few food shops for a fast break - omisubiyo and takoyaki. Try the takoyakis if you're adventurous.

That done, Akihabara should have given you lots of tourist gifts.

At this time, it's up to you how to spend the rest of the Tokyo day before packing for home.

----

Zipping over and spending a day at Nikko, or Fuji, or Kyoto?

You'll have to cut a day's worth out of the above, so you're pick.

If you zip out on two day trips (eg. Nikko + Fuji), then look into the rail pass you can buy outside Japan. It might be cheaper.

Basics? Shibuya, Asakusua, Tokyo Station underground mall, Tokyo Tower - That'll give you a taste of shopping, shrines, many foods, and a view of the city in a day - and these are mostly compact areas (everything closeby w/o walking around too much).
by =) rate this post as useful

Thanks for the Tokyo suggestions 2008/5/5 23:47
Wow =)!

I got tired just reading all your suggestions, but I'm going to Japan in November, and thought all your advice on what to do in Tokyo was wonderful. Thanks very much
by Southern-Belle1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread