Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What kind of clothes should I pack? 2008/4/28 19:01
Hi!

ILll be in Japan from 24th May to 6th June visiting Tokyo, NIkko,Hakone,Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima, I am not sure what kind of clotes should I take with me, if long or short-sleeved t-shirts, shorts or long trousers, coat or just a sweeter, closed or opened shoes....

Thanks for your help!
by sandrakan  

wat 2 bring 2008/4/29 10:35
bring lots of clothes as temps. can vary
by ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rate this post as useful

I agree- bring a range 2008/4/29 11:00
A long coat won't be necessary, but temps could range from about 26 deg C or more in Tokyo to 12 or less in Nikko so bring something warm. Bring two pairs of shoes- one open and one closed that you can walk in.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Depends 2008/4/29 22:22
.. on your gender and where you are from. I could do that sort of itinerary with one set of good walking shoes, cargopants/jeans, lightweight windcheater and bunch of t-shirts/underwear/socks, but it really, really depends on what you expect ;-)
by Markus rate this post as useful

. 2008/4/30 02:18
Take comfortable, versatile clothing. Also, be aware that you may not have access to a dryer, depending on where you are staying. For me, I am going to be in an apartment with no dryer so I am taking stuff that will dry easily. Things that dry easily also tend to be lightweight, which is an added bonus.

For my trip coming up I am packing a light jacket that is perfect for layering and a wind/rain shell that I can use by itself, or layer the light jacket underneath it if it is cold.

All my shirts are short sleeved with the exception of one wrinkle-free button up shirt that I am taking in case I go some place that requires nicer clothing.

All of my pants are either lightweight synthetic (polyester) blends or cotton, except one pair of jeans. I normally wear jeans all the time, but I don't like line drying jeans very much because they take a long time and get a bit stiff. Several of the pants I am taking have straps that allow me to roll up the legs if I am hot, I got those because I don't normally see Japanese women in shorts and I am not much of a shorts person anyway.

For shoes I bought some good walking shoes that will breathe well (my feet get hot) as well as some sandals. Sandals will be great in the cities, but not so great on dirt paths in gardens around the temples and shrines of Kyoto.

I would suggest shopping at some outdoor recreation stores like REI. Eddie Bauer also has some good stuff. I would look for things marketed as hiking or travel clothing.

Don't forget to pack an umbrella!
by Robyn rate this post as useful

. 2008/4/30 02:23
forgot to mention, if you do shop for some new clothes for the trip REI.com has an "outlet" where you can get some good deals. If there is a store near you they will ship it there for free and you can easily return anything that doesn't work for you at the store as well.
by Robyn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread