Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

docomo phones overseas? 2008/4/29 16:49
does anyone know if i can use a docomo phone in canada?
specifically the docomo 904i. i wanna buy one in jp and then take it to canada to use. can i do that?
thanks in advance if you know! :-)
by luiluilui  

eee 2008/4/30 07:55
i have a softbank and now i am in Canada my phone works here but u need to check with docomo for the roaming service me wen im in Canada it change from softbank to rogers network and its really expensive 150yen a call for local and 300yen for a call to japan email are not available and other function to in japan they use 3G but in Canada its GMS so you really need to check if your phone can switch from 3G to GMS and if you have a roaming servis !!
by igo rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/30 10:28
does anyone know if i can use a docomo phone in canada?
specifically the docomo 904i. i wanna buy one in jp and then take it to canada to use. can i do that?

First of all, in case you weren't aware, you cannot buy a Japanese cell phone if you are not a resident of Japan.

If you are currently a resident and want to buy and then continue to use your phone after you move back to Canada with a Canadian phone plan, then that isn't possible. Japanese carriers do not unlock their phones, and while there are methods advertised over the internet to do so, they are not confimed to work. Even if you did get it to work you will likely lose email, text, and internet support, as they use different technology than North America.

The only method to use your phone in Canada is to continue a Docomo plan. It will be expensive as every phone call you make will be billed at international rates, and every person that calls you from a Canadian phone will also have to pay international rates.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

igo & yllwsmrf 2008/4/30 21:29
thanks for the info! i do live in jp actually and its for a cousin in canada. she wants me to buy her one and send it to her. i guess it cant be done now.. i didnt think it was going to be easy.. oh well..

thanks again anyways for your response! :-)
by thanks! rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/1 05:44
You can't use any 904i model in Canada even with DoCoMo's international roaming because 904i models support 3G only (no GSM) and 3G frequency is different between Japan/Europe and North America.

You need a 3G/GSM phone such as 905i.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread