Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

GED in Japan... 2008/5/1 03:00
I have quite of a situation here in the USA, and before any of you judge me based on my decision of getting a GED, let me explain.

In my 7th-10th years of education, I went to a different school because I moved, but this was a privately owned school and they gave me credits in subjects I did not do, the school was very bad so I left it, and when I went to home schooling, I was put in these advanced classes without doing any other classes required for doing them, yet I had the credits, but the school said "You can not take back credits you have received"

So I had no choice but to take my GED, my school screwed me over, and before the judgement, I do WORK hard and I do my best to realize my dreams, so please work with me without judgement.. (Sorry if this part here sounded harsh, but you have no idea how many people judged me on this.)

I was wondering if I took a 2 year language school for Japanese and pass the JLPT 2 (I know this is hard but im willing to work at my best to make it happen, and I have the funds for it, more than enough actually).. would I be able to get into a Japanese College to Graduate in IT?

I know I need japanese and wouldnt dare make this move without knowledge of the language in an advance term, but is there any way for someone who has only completed 11 years of education with a GED to enter a college in Japan?

Thanks so much, and please, give me other advice if you have any.
by Kevin  

GED? 2008/5/1 13:59
What is a GED?
by Sandy rate this post as useful

GED is... 2008/5/1 16:38
GED is an equivalent of a high school diploma, showing that you have the abilities of a 12 year education.
by Kevin rate this post as useful

GED in Japan 2009/9/9 10:31
You might already have found your answer.
However, I figure I might give you some info anyway. I teach in Japan, and I was looking into continuing my education here.

a GED or a Deploma are basically the same thing. That said, getting into a Japanese University is pretty difficult. However, most universities provide a 6 month Japanese course if you do manage to get accepted.
Gambatte!!
by Nicole (guest) rate this post as useful

not the same thing 2009/9/9 20:20
A GED diploma and a High School Diploma are NOT the same thing.

Many universities look at a GED holder with greater scrutiny and you may be required to have college level credits at another institution before being accepted to study. Either that or you will need to take the SAT and perform well on it.

If the original poster is even still reading this thread I would advise that he finish his GED and enroll into a Japanese Language School in Japan and study in Japan for 2 years. It's my opinion that it is impossible to become proficient in Japanese while living in a country besides Japan. At least, it's not possible to become proficient enough to study here at a university level.

Most Japanese universities no longer use the JLPT and instead use the EJU test.
by Winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread