Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My picky eater 2008/5/2 09:25
Hi. My husband isn't a big fan of Japanese food and I'm not sure if he could survive when we go to Nagoya this summer.

What do you eat when you are hungry and not in the mood for Japanese in Japan? I need to find something that my husband can mounchy on before he starves.
by T.A  

Picky 2008/5/2 11:22
Show him this list. I bet there's several things he will find delicious. Otherwise there's fast food like McDonalds.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e620.html
by Steve rate this post as useful

not only Japanese food here... 2008/5/2 11:35
All kinds of things- Italian, Indian food, Chinese, French pastries, Subway sandwiches- I live in Tokyo and don't eat Japanese food that often because I am a vegetarian and don't like fish anyway.

In any case, Japanese food goes far beyond sushi etc. I am betting your husband would love a bowl of gyudon (beef on rice).
by Sira rate this post as useful

Often 2008/5/2 11:47
Often when people say they don't like Japanese food, they have tried it maybe once, eaten sushi, and say they prefer their food cooked!!!!

They are often saying this out of ignorance rather than actual experience....

Some things that fussy eater might like, include Tempura, Gyoza, Tonkatsu, Yakitori....
by Sandy rate this post as useful

lots of options 2008/5/2 12:46
In fact, genuine Japanese cuisine can be quite hard to find when you're touring around modern districts of Japan. Tell us what he's usually used to, or in other words which part of the planet he's coming from, and perhaps someone can give you some better advise. Otherwise, you can always hop into that huge building at Nagoya Station where they have department stores like Matsuzakaya that have a variety of cheese and meat dishes, Western style or Chinese style or what not.
by Uco rate this post as useful

So......... 2008/5/17 01:12
Your husband doesn't like meat, vegetables, fish or anything at all? japanese food isn't ALL sushi, you know.
by .................... rate this post as useful

Mmmm. 2008/5/17 04:41
There's always umebooshi. :))
by Jake rate this post as useful

Options 2008/5/17 21:03
I'm a picky eater too (I don't like offal, seafood or salad veges) but found pasta & meat dishes (such as pork cutlets in particular) available in smaller Japanese restaurants. Also, more western-style food is readily available in & around the main railway stations in the larger cities
by Marshall rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/19 15:04
Try some of the Japanese dishes like chicken or beef curry, my husband is a picky eater and "doesn't like Japanese food" but really liked these. Also, beef teriyaki is pretty hard not to like (from a western palette) Also, I was surprised at how common pasta dishes are, so that's another option. Otherwise there's all the usual suspects - McDonald's, Wendy's, Denny's. As far as snacks are concerned just go to a supermarket or 7-11 and there are plenty of choices - bread, yogurt, crisps, pastries, salads, etc.
by Mel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread