Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Become a pyschologist in Japan? 2008/5/2 22:16
want to become a pyschologist in Japan. I plan on going to Japan on a foreign exchange progrom on my senior year in highschool. Is there a college in Japan, that teaches how to speak japanses, write, and culture, while I am getting my degree in psychology? Then after, where do I start after I got my degree (mostly likely geting PH.D)? I was looking at Sophia university and was trying to find the intution fee, but can't find it or its in Japanese.

Any information will be helpful!
by Blount  

. 2008/5/3 12:20
I think it would be very difficult for a foreigner to become a psychologist in Japan. A primary trait that a psychologist must have is to be able to identify with the patient, which would seem nigh impossible if you are brought up in a different culture.
by Jay rate this post as useful

Japanese school with an English program 2008/5/3 17:42
If you can't figure Japanese schools out by reading its homepage because its in Japanese, then it probably doesn't have a program for you.
by Mr. Common rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/5/3 20:43
Only a tiny number of non-Japanese medical practitioners have ever been accredited to practice in Japan, and I very much doubt that full degree courses in psychology are offered in English.

Reaching the level of Japanese required to understand a psychology course would take several years of intensive fulltime language study. Adding to that the huge cultural differences- it's not really a realistic goal I am afraid.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Becoming a psychologist in Japan 2008/11/2 13:24
Hi, I just came across your question and just to add a little more information and agreement with previous posters here.

It is possible for someone from abroad to become a licensed as Clinical Psychologist in Japan but it can't be done all at once and there is no program in Japan whereby you could learn Japanese and study psychology simultaneously. The best thing would be to learn the language first.

Also I think that to practice as an effective psychologist in Japan or any country other than your own it would also be better to live and work there first and gain experience and exposure to the society and culture.

One suggestion would be to learn to speak Japanese and study psychology at least to masters level in your own country first and then come to Japan to live and learn about what life is really like here. Then with a masters in psychology from a recognized university from abroad you would be in a position to look for a recognized counseling center, clinic or hospital in Tokyo, and in Japan in general, that would agree for you to volunteer and work there for the necessary experience as internees within such clinical settings. Masters graduates in psychology in Japan are required to have completed internships in clinical settings in order to be permitted to take the written and oral examinations that need to be passed in order to be licensed as a Clinical Psychologist by the Japan Society of Certified Clinical Psychologists (JSCCP). At the time of this posting, masters graduates in pscyhology from universities abroad are required by the JSCCP to complete two years in a recognized clinical setting before sitting for the exams.

Hope this may be of some help. For more information about qualifying as a Clincal Psychologist in Japan the following links may be useful:

Counseling and Psychotherapy in Tokyo and Japan:
http://www.counselingjapan.com/index_eng.php

On Becoming Licensed Mental Health Professionals in Japan in Japan:

http://www.counselingjapan.com/eng/qualifications.php

Hope this may be of some help to you.

by Andrew Grimes JSCCP, JCP rate this post as useful

reply to this thread