Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko, Kyoto, or Kamakura 2008/5/4 00:26
Hi,

I will be in Japan for 5 days and would like to split some time between the city life (Tokyo) and the cultural/historical Japan (Nikko, Kyoto, or Kamakura). However, since my time in Japan is so limited, I cannnot visit all three of the historical cities. Thus, which of the three should I visit to get the most out of the experience?
by David  

... 2008/5/4 10:18
Kyoto is by far the most important historical destination in Japan, but it is located 500 kilometers west of Tokyo. Kamakura is just an hour south of Tokyo.

If you have the opportunity to visit the Kansai region around Kyoto, I recommend to use your five days on just Tokyo and Kyoto. If you rather want to stick to the Tokyo area only, I recommend to use the five days for Tokyo and Kamakura.

If you like to travel at a very fast pace and prefer to see many cities versus just one city in depth, you could theoretically add a third (or even fourth) city to the itinerary, but I don't recommend it. I think Tokyo and Kyoto alone deserve a total of at least five days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Nikko 2008/5/4 14:25
David, with limited time I would opt for Nikko. I have been to all three places and my personal opinion is that Nikko is more beautiful than Kamakura and of course does not require the travelling that would be involved getting to Kyoto.
by Rod rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/5/4 22:52
With the Nozomi, Kyoto is less than 2,5 hours from Tokyo, so if you take the first Nozomi (around 6am) you arrive at Kyoto around 8:15am and the last Nozomi from Kyoto to Tokyo leaves around 9:30pm and arrives at Tokyo around 11:45pm), a long day but it's possible!
Another option is the nightbus between Tokyo and Kyoto (and vv), it's cheaper than the Shinkansen and saves you 2 nights in a hotel :)
by Bert rate this post as useful

nightbus 2008/5/4 22:55
This is a link to 123bus (nightbus to Kyoto from Tokyo and vv)
http://www.123bus.net/route/tyo/tyo-osa.html?agencyCode=4268
by Bert rate this post as useful

How long? 2008/5/7 10:03
Thanks for the help everyone! Do you think that one day in Kyoto (10AM-last train out) will be enough to see all the major sites?
by David rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/7 10:21
Do you think that one day in Kyoto (10AM-last train out) will be enough to see all the major sites?

Certainly not! You can maybe see 2-4 of the major site. To see all major sites, you need at least three days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

nor here and nor there 2008/5/7 13:20
I have been to Paris, Osaka, London and other towns for very short trips of 2 days (not including the flying time of course) BUT only because I had already been to these places many times. With only 5 days you don't even have the time to really see Tokyo. Nikko is a full day trip and,ideally,it takes 2 full days to do it justice.. Do yourself a favor and stay in Tokyo plus one day in Nikko. Getting the most of a place isn't rushing around but on the contrary slowing down to enjoy the sounds, colours,shapes and every possible details in that place.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

hoping to figure this out 2008/5/8 10:24
I definitely agree with you - 5 days just isn't enough for Tokyo and Kyoto (or Nikko). Unfortunately, however, I am bound by time and cannot change the travel dates. Considering that I likely will not return to Japan in the next 10 years, should I still make a trip to Kyoto (instead of Nikko) given that I only have 5 days (I would be taking the Nozomi so travel time wouldn't be too big of an issue). If so, should I stay there overnight or is it more worthwile allocate a day to Kyoto/Nikko and spend the remainder in Tokyo?

I really do appreciate all of your advice! I'd be utter confusion without it.
by David rate this post as useful

Check out Nikko! 2008/5/8 11:46
I haven't been to Kamakura, but I have been to Nikko and Kyoto.

Nikko can be done in a day, taking a train from Tokyo (I believe it is about 2 hours each way). The sites the see there are compact, and you could return to Tokyo late at night, if you wanted. I would say it's a great trip from Tokyo.

Kyoto takes a lot of time to travel around, even once you're there. It's a very popular tourist destination and you will have to take buses to get out in the morning. You probably want to spend at least 2 days in Kyoto, if you're seeing the best of the best sites.

If you need help deciding about transfer time from place to place, you can check out http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

You can enter exact information about when you will leave and figure out a more specific schedule.
by Tammy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread