Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Harajuku - Saturday? 2008/5/5 08:42
Hi

I am wanting to do some photography of all the young japanese dressing up in costumes at the park in Harajuku - but may be only able to get there on a Saturday not a sunday. WIll there still be many people there to make it worthwhile?

Thank you

by purplereign  

harajuku 2008/5/5 16:18
Yes, while there will be not as many people on a Sunday, there will still be a few people dressing up on Saturday. For some of these people(like me) the strange fashions are a lifestyle(like goth people, kind of) so there will people dressing up regardless of what day it is.
by Lapin rate this post as useful

girls on the bridge 2008/5/5 19:38
Incidentally,you should know that the girls in costume are not in Yoyogi Park itself but on the bridge next to Harajuku station near the entrance to Meiji Shrine, a good 100m away around the corner from the entrance to Yoyogi Park.

At the park entramce itself you may see the rockabilly guys dancing although I'm not too sure if they are there on a Saturday. They had a pink Cadillac parked outside the park last time I was there! Plenty of unusual and intersting people inside the park as well (often including me...)
by Sira rate this post as useful

What about a public holiday 2008/5/5 20:45
We won't be in Tokyo over a weekend, but the Tuesday that we are there will be a public holiday (Autumnal Equinox day) Would the girls be out and about on that day?
by Spuds rate this post as useful

Photography etiquette 2008/5/5 22:47
Make sure to ask before you take photographs. Aka if you don't know the words of how to ask can I take your photograph, learn them.

Many of the people will decline. Just because they're dressed like that doesn't mean they want to be in people's photos. So you have to respect that. As they mostly dress for themselves and not others.

I had a couple of people who wanted photos but most just think you strange for wanting photos of them in admittedly strange costumes, it's just what they do, most don't seem to feel they are putting on a costume or anything like that.
by Alita rate this post as useful

Seeking attention 2008/5/5 22:56
I thought they thrive on attention and even pose for photos.
by snapshop rate this post as useful

answers 2008/5/6 05:44
I will reiterate that the ''costumed'' people do not think of themselves as wearing a costume, but as normal every day wear. Some will deny photos and it's ALWAYS polite to ask first, such as pointing to your camera to show that you want to take a picture. They use the bridge as a hub to meet people and gather.

snapshop--They don't ''thrive'' on attention(some of them at least), they just do it for fun :P

spuds-Tuesday there may even be fewer girls dressing up because most of the girls may be in school at that time, but hey how are the shops that sell their clothes going to make money? There may still be some out and about.
by Lapin rate this post as useful

.... 2008/5/6 10:07
As mentioned attendance is decreased on Saturdays.

Its not entirely necessary to ask permission before taking a picture. It they are on the bridge they are there for the specfic reason for people to see them, and they are fully aware that many people will take their photo. Often they will pose at the sight of you pulling up your camera to take a photo.

They are indeed there for fun, to grap attention, and under no illusion that the massive crowd that surrounds them are only there because of them. Its exactly the point in which they show up.

It is a costume to them, and not something they were regularly, some are quiet over-the-top and could no way manage to consider it there daily clothing.

If they are walking around, and not by the bridge, then it would be proper to ask permission before a photo. Otherwise its more or less a free for all.

by Fooly rate this post as useful

I want to know too 2008/7/14 21:47
How about Mondays? Will there be any around? ^^
by Cub rate this post as useful

Monday, same as Tuesday 2008/7/14 22:11
The majority of the girls are school age, as above, so on week days there is usually no-one in costume. You might see a small group, but I go to Harajuku fairly often, and only usually see them on the weekends.

I see 2008/7/14 23:57
Ohh, I plan to visit Harajuku on Monday August 4th - is that a school holiday week? Will there be a crowd? Hehe...

Probably too hot 2008/7/15 05:44
Since that's the school holidays it might be a different situation, but it is a very hot time of year and that may stop the girls from wanting to sit outside in costumes for very long. There might be some hardcore ones still there, but I'm guessing not many.

Thanks 2008/7/15 06:44
Ahahaha, I see!! I'll go try my luck then.

Thanks, Sira!

reply to this thread