Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transport advice, please correct. 2008/5/5 20:26
Hi

I'm having so much trouble with transport. Could someone please recommend me the best route to get to the follow. I will have a JR pass for #2 and 3 and 4 so please factor this in. #1 is out of the 7 day JR Period.

1) Kansai to shinosaka

-- Thinking of buying a JR WEst rail pass and catching the Haruku (Is this covered under the JR West rail pass?)

2) shinosaka to ikebukuro

-- Thinking of using my 7 day JR pass for this. Do i need to transfer?

3) ikebukuro to namba

--Thinking of using my JR pass to get to shinosaka and then change subway to namba (midosuji line @ 270 yen i think).

4) Nanba to Kansai

-- THinking of getting the Nankai Ltd.Exp. Rapit but this is not covered under the JR pass. What alternative do I have that the JR pass can cover.
by giraffez  

... 2008/5/6 10:40
1) Kansai to shinosaka

-- Thinking of buying a JR WEst rail pass and catching the Haruku (Is this covered under the JR West rail pass?)

Yes, unreserved seats on the Haruka are covered by the JR West Pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html?aFROM=2033_2157

shinosaka to ikebukuro

-- Thinking of using my 7 day JR pass for this. Do i need to transfer?

You need to transfer at Shinagawa Station for the Yamanote Line to Ikebukuro. Fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass if you use a hikari train along the Tokaido Shinkansen:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

ikebukuro to namba

--Thinking of using my JR pass to get to shinosaka and then change subway to namba (midosuji line @ 270 yen i think).

Yes, that would be my suggestion. It is theoretically possible to use JR trains to Namba, but it would be a detour not worth the savings, in my opinion.

4) Nanba to Kansai

-- THinking of getting the Nankai Ltd.Exp. Rapit but this is not covered under the JR pass. What alternative do I have that the JR pass can cover.

You can take a JR train from JR Namba Station to Tennoji and then transfer to the Haruka or JR airport rapid. That would be fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

rinku town 2008/5/6 18:44
thanks.

and if i want to go from nanba to rinku town, i would do option 4?
by giraffez rate this post as useful

Rinku town 2008/5/7 04:43
Rinku town is on the mainland, not on the airport island. This what I found by googling it: "Rinku Town is accessible from Osaka by the Nankai Main Line and JR Hanwa Line. All trains bound for Kansai Airport (except JR Haruka Limited Express Trains) stop at Rinku Town Station".check following for a map: www.pref.osaka.jp/rinkai/english/rinkutown/akusesu.html

by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

options 2008/5/18 19:39
Could someone tell me what the best option is to get from Kansai airport to shinosaka if I miss the last train at 22:16.

My flight comes in late at night and by the time i clear customs, i may find that i have missed it.

How far is the arrivals gate to the JR station?

later trains 2008/5/18 20:35
The last Haruka airport Express departs at 22:16.
The last Rapid train bound for JR Kyobashi station depart at 22:30 and arrive at JR Osaka station at 23:35 without change.
The last Rapid train bound for Tenno-ji(Southern hub of central Osaka) departs at 23:40 and arrives at Tenno-ji at 00:24, and you can catch the train on Osaka Loop Line at Tenno-ji station at 00:34 to JR Osaka station at 00:55.

There is no train available later than this. :)
by Ts rate this post as useful

info 2008/5/18 21:18
Thanks T,

How do you find this out. Is there something I could print out cos if i am late, i won't have the internet to do my timetable research.

Would the ticket sellers be able to direct me to the right trains? and do they speak english?

trains 2008/5/19 07:04
for train schedules try www. hyperdia.com. the customs exit gate is about 5 minutes max from the JR station. just folow the signs in English.
by XXx rate this post as useful

options 2008/5/19 19:44
Thanks. Its looking less and less likely that I would make the 10:15pm Hakura.

1) Is the Tennoji train you are referring to a JR train? It doesn't seem to be in the JR timetable.

2) Would I be able to purchase a JR West 1 day pass at this time of the day.... would the ticket office be closed?

3) Are buses an option if i get out of customs after 10:30pm?

Thanks

... 2008/5/19 21:17
Is the Tennoji train you are referring to a JR train? It doesn't seem to be in the JR timetable.

Yes.

Would I be able to purchase a JR West 1 day pass at this time of the day.... would the ticket office be closed?

The JR ticket office at Kansai Airport Station is open until 23:00.

Are buses an option if i get out of customs after 10:30pm?

The last bus to Osaka Station leaves the airport around 23:15. Most other routes have their last departure around 22:30 or earlier.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/19 22:31
giraffez,

This is the timetable of JR Kansai Airport station. You can rely on it since trains in Japan run completely on time.
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/access/train/jr_time.html

I'm not anxious about your getting lost at Kansai Airport station. It's not so big a station that just follow English sign directing JR station. Signboards are also written in English.

And this is a railmap of Osaka
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/access/train/train_map.ht...

.... 2008/5/19 22:40
22:16 Haruka Airport Express
22:30 Rapid Train bound for Kyobashi via JR Osaka station
22:52 Rapid Train bound for Tenno-ji
23:11 Rapid Train bound for Tenno-ji
23:40 Rapid Train bound for Tenno-ji

thanks 2008/5/20 18:55
Thanks Ts

Appreciate your help on this!