Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Radio station recommendations 2008/5/6 22:47
I am over iPods and mp3. I have bought a transistor radio!

Any recommendations for stations (AM or FM) or programs to listen to in Japan? Please specify frequencies.

I understand quite a bit of Japanese, and I am most interested in music, culture or sound content. Or politics and contemporary commentary.

I am hopeful that in a population of 130 million there is something worth tuning in to.
by Ian  

. 2008/5/9 11:19
It depends on where you are.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Good point 2008/5/9 11:56
I come from a country (Australia) where some of the stations have nationwide coverage.

OK -well, I spend most of my time in Tokyo and Kansai, and occasionally in Tohoku and Hokkaido.

So I am interested in any good recommendations for radio listening an any of those areas.
That includes US bases that broadcast. But really, all tips welcome.
by Ian rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/9 22:05
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/5/20 13:29
Very comprehensive list! Sorry it has taken a while to respond.

I am in rural Nara now; Shiga last week and Nagano before that. I have my transistor on, but I am not picking up much. Certainly none of the major urban frequencies.

It is just a small radio, and there are mountains around ...

I have picked up a few chatty programs and once a 'nostalgic favourites' (enka) show, but so far that's all.

I get the impression that radio is not a part of the country lifestyle day around here, let alone background music for work. But I will keep listening.

I have a few city days coming up (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya), so I will try there as well.

by Ian rate this post as useful

reply to this thread