Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheapest flight from Tokyo to Sydney? 2008/5/7 15:57
Can anyone help me about a reliable and cheap way to buy a ticket from Tokyo to Sydney? For he beginning of July?

Is it best to get it online, or at a travel agent? I really appreciate help about this if anyone knows where I can get a good price.

Thank you very much
Justin
by Justinn  

. 2008/5/7 17:08

I haven't had such a good experience with travel agents (although I went with one this time, and am going over in may) but I would suggest looking at websites, and at what ones for the travel agents show. like flightcentre.com,au, statravel.com.au, as well as qantas,com,au, jetstar.com.au (although watch this one, as you have to pay for everything extra in advance), thaiair.com, etc etc

there are lots to look at.

I have never booked an international flight from Australia without a travel agent, but I can't see that it would be too hard.

good luck.
by thesweeny rate this post as useful

From Japan, not from Sydney 2008/5/7 17:45
Hi thesweeny
I need to buy a ticket from Japan, not from Sydney. I am here in Japan and I need to buy a return ticket. I can't understand much here as I don't understand Japanese language. So I am hoping some of you have experience living here, and know where to get a good deal.

Thanks very much
Justin
by Justinn rate this post as useful

ticket 2008/5/7 17:55
I have recently bought a return Narita - Melbourne around the secodn week in July for about $850 USD ($910 AUD, about 85,000yen) including tax.
I used www.expedia.com
It's all done on the net, using credit card, tickets were sent.

I've also used www.No1-travel.com
who have prices of 42,500yen plus tax, for NRT-SYD in early July. The restriction on this price is that it's 3-14 day fixed.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Oh, 2008/5/7 17:58
Oh, and No1-travel have offices in Yokohama, Shibuya, Shinjuku & Ikebukuro.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/7 17:59
sorry Justinn! got that totally the wrong way round :-(

well, despite my dislike of travel agents, if I couldn't read the language I would to a travel agent.

although I have just been playing around with a few of the major carriers, and can seem to book from Japan back to Australia.
by thesweeny rate this post as useful

QANTAS 2008/5/7 18:10
I travel back to Sydney fairly regularly. I usually book through the QANTAS website (click to JAPAN as site) and it's pretty easy. I've checked other carriers, but pricing doesn't seem to vary that much. For example, I'm going back 1st week June, compared QANTAS and JAL and JAL was cheaper by JPY2,000.
by regular rate this post as useful

Jet star 2008/5/8 03:28
I thnk NEW low cost cOmpay Jet star cheapest .
but not direct to Tokyo,
Unfortnattaly to Osaka.
http://www.jetstar.com/au/index.html
by izuyumiko rate this post as useful

I just checked 2008/5/8 08:25
kayak.com, which shows non-stop flights on JAL as low as US $820 round trip Narita-Sydney, departing July 8, returning July 24. You could try searching other dates, or go to JAL's website directly. I think reservations can usually be done online (if you have a credit card). This is a very useful site for comparisons, though it won't show all of the smaller airlines.
by rootles rate this post as useful

English-speaking discount agents 2008/5/8 08:30
Do you get Metropolis magazine where you are, Justin? If so, have a flick through one and you will see plenty of advertisements for travel agents.

There are loads of discount travel agents in Tokyo with English speaking staff- actually they cater specifically to foreigners. No. 1 Travel as mentioned above is one, Across travel is another, and then there are smaller ones like Hit Travel or Dust travel.

They all have branches in Tokyo (often several) and if you try an internet search their websites should come up.

I have been using them for years and they generally have the best deals.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Qantas to cut Japan schedules 2008/6/9 19:26
Maybe this is something to take into account:
Australia's Qantas Airways said Thursday it would discontinue or reduce a number of international services, mainly to Japan and Southeast Asian destinations, to cut costs in the face of high oil prices.

(..)

The airline will cancel its thrice-weekly service between Melbourne and Tokyo starting in September; reduce the number of weekly return flights between Sydney and Tokyo to seven from nine; and end the Jetstar service from Cairns to Osaka and Nagoya starting in December.

It will also replace 14 weekly Cairns to Tokyo flights with daily flights on Jetstar, its discount carrier.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/business/news/20080605p2g00m0bu021000...
by Kappa rate this post as useful

curious 2008/6/9 22:37
Is Justinn safely back on Australian soil?
by sparky rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/10 08:38
Probably not, his post says he's leaving in early July.

I've used:
http://www.statravel.co.jp
and
http://www.no1-travel.com/

many times with good results. Be aware that the price they quote on the internet doesn't include fuel surcharge or taxes which add up to 3-50000 yen practically doubling the price shown. Also they have restrictions on booking which is usually 30-45 days in advance so I guess its not too helpful for you if you're leaving early July.

A few other things I noticed, the last time I flew JAL to AUS it was a code share flight with Quantas, so I got Quantas service with a JAL price (and was generally unhappy about it).

I've found that prices on the carrier webpages can be generally the same as the discount sites/travel agents but without the restrictions. In fact the last time I flew with NWA the flight cost the same but I was able to choose my seat, cancel the flight with a full refund, miss the flight with a refund, and make changes for a nominal fee.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread